Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently followed a KKF thread on paring knives. I must admit that I’ve been a bit of a snob when it came to paring knives. Years ago I bought 10 Victorinox paring knives and didn’t consider them worthy of love and attention. Because of the thread I purchased a proper paring knife from Will Newham in Tasmania. It’s a 4” Aeb-L blade with a very nice lace oak and brass handle. Pictures below. Will made me up a nice leather saya to protect the blade in my travelling roll. I put it to work on a fresh pineapple to welcome the newest member of my family. Beautifully made as usual from Will. Couldn’t be happier!

310ECDE1-CE4E-426D-A260-D1B26FC2E334.jpeg
36A66767-0D90-41B5-92FB-AA270BF22214.jpeg
The
0107DC94-1DBD-4B84-8228-C4F3397D56DC.jpeg
A832DE5D-210F-47FC-9134-A4AB34427B0D.jpeg

View attachment 60701
How you liking that Xerxes? My new one is RAD

Love it. Has nice resonance on board contact/pleasant springy heat treat while having a very usable profile and shape/length for general prep. Lighter than it looks/very blade forward. Only stropped on a 5k stone/felt so far but great balance between hardness and sharpenability IMO. Tip is precise and the handle comfy. For the price, it is a helluva of a performer

The 1st Gen Primus look great with the contrasting bolster/pin, nice snag!

Love it. Has nice resonance on board contact/pleasant springy heat treat while having a very usable profile and shape/length for general prep. Lighter than it looks/very blade forward. Only stropped on a 5k stone/felt so far but great balance between hardness and sharpenability IMO. Tip is precise and the handle comfy. For the price, it is a helluva of a performer

The 1st Gen Primus look great with the contrasting bolster/pin, nice snag!
Good snag yourself, I'm glad you like it, and I agree with the "resonance" feel. It's a great cutter, nice Sakai size feels just about right. Mine still has the seller's edge (I was told "Aizu maybe") so it's toothy, with cutting feedback, but what feels like a durable edge. Looking forward to putting it through a big prep soon.

Good snag yourself, I'm glad you like it, and I agree with the "resonance" feel. It's a great cutter, nice Sakai size feels just about right. Mine still has the seller's edge (I was told "Aizu maybe") so it's toothy, with cutting feedback, but what feels like a durable edge. Looking forward to putting it through a big prep soon.
I typically like mid- to heavy-weights, but I'm having a hard time putting my Primus down lately. I can't believe how thin the tip is. Such a fun knife!

This is my first one. A yoshikane in shirogami 2 with iron clad. First high end knife and first Japanese one.
I use since a couple of month ago and I love it. Just a few rust spot (used an eraser to take care of it) at the beginning but now I learned and is great also in maintenance !

Last edited:
I actually did a comparison shot of the new MAC SB-105 and our Fiskars bread knife. Or Zwilling bread knife is the same size as the Fiskars.
sb105.jpg

is the mac better than the fiskars? I have the fiskars chefs knife from the same series. its 52 hrc according to them :)

is the mac better than the fiskars? I have the fiskars chefs knife from the same series. its 52 hrc according to them :)

We have 2 Fiskars filet knives from the same series (my wife brought them to the marriage about 7 years ago), and then we also have a few Fiskars knives from the all-steel series. The Fiskars stuff ain't bad - it's really easy to sharpen and holds an edge OK.

She likes the MAC better, so that's all that counts :)

Back