SHUN 3" vegetable/ paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOK-a-holic

Reaction score
I got my eye on a shun Premier 3 inch vegetable/ paring knife "sheepsfoot".
model tdm0714 .Knife is not very pointed at tip and has a completely flat edge profile.it kind of looks like a mini santoku knife. I would be using this knife in combination with cutting board at all times.

does anybody own one of these knives?
thoughts and suggestions please.

Dis one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M3XAO4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure that you could use it on a board. The handle is deeper than the blade, no knuckle clearance. If you're going Shun, and if it's on sale, the Classic seems the better design.

A few of our custom makers offer off the shelf parers in the $100ish range. A sheepsfoot from Randy just sold on b/s/t.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one. It is designed for in-hand use and is not suitable for board use for the reason Dave gave you - not enough clearance to allow the blade edge to fully contact the board.

If you are looking for a knife with a flat edge for board work, and want to stay with a Shun Premier, look at the nakiri. If you must have a paring knife for board work, get one with a "standard" profile.

Rick

I had one. It is designed for in-hand use and is not suitable for board use for the reason Dave gave you - not enough clearance to allow the blade edge to fully contact the board.

If you are looking for a knife with a flat edge for board work, and want to stay with a Shun Premier, look at the nakiri. If you must have a paring knife for board work, get one with a "standard" profile.

Rick

Alton Brown has devised the pefect solution to this conundrum :D
108002-679x691-Alton-Brown.jpg

31W%2BEjvBRSL._SY355_.jpg

Shun Classic Alton's Angled Knives in a 3 pc. set. The unique 10 degree handle angle is the result of the collaboration between Shun and star of the Food Network's Good Eats show, celebrity chef Alton Brown. Alton loved the sheep's foot blade shape on the Shun Vegetable Knife, but had trouble using it because his knuckles kept hitting the cutting board. So he asked Shun for a modification - a small angle that would let him both firmly grasp the knife and fully contact the cutting board. Not only does the design keep knuckles off the cutting board, but the natural curve created between the blade and the user's arm also make controlling the blade even easier and more precise. This 10 degree angled is the only difference. Otherwise these are Shun Classic kitchen knives. Same clad VG-10 steel blade, same "D" shaped handle, same razor-sharp edge and precise handling. It's just a brillian new angle on some already brilliant knives. Special 3 Pc. Set includes: 3 1/2" Angled Vegetable Knife, 4" Angled Paring Knife, 6" Angled Utility Knife.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N2NKAQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting! never heard of that. It doesn't seem to create "that" much knuckle clearance though... for the small paring knife it seems that you would have to be holding it at the base of the handle which seems awkward. I think height at the base of the blade needs to be around 30mm for board use, or so that's the consensus I got from a previous thread on petty height. Also the gist was: petty = in hand work. If you want a small board knife you could go with small gyuto...

*** kind of shirt is Alton wearing in that picture...

I had that knife. Didn't work as parer as well as I'd hoped, might have been my smaller hands. After trying a lot of different knives, I'm happiest with my Itinomonn 90mm parer.

Back