Simichrome is amazing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flitz comes in liquid and paste form. Maybe the paste has abrasive, but I'm pretty sure the liquid is chemical. I've not seen any specific micron rating to any of these metal polishes published from the manufacturer. Doesn't mean it's not out there, just haven't seen it.

Edit: I see in the post where they got the response from the manufacturers, just saying I haven't seen it directly and I'm skeptical of what CS reps at companies say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flitz comes in liquid and paste form. Maybe the paste has abrasive, but I'm pretty sure the liquid is chemical. I've not seen any specific micron rating to any of these metal polishes published from the manufacturer. Doesn't mean it's not out there, just haven't seen it.

Edit: I see in the post where they got the response from the manufacturers, just saying I haven't seen it directly and I'm skeptical of what CS reps at companies say.

Simichrome is published on their web page at least.
https://www.gesswein.com/p-5092-simichrome-polish.aspx said:
Particle size: 8 to 10 microns.

I am referring to the blue paste Flitz; it's the only one I've used. That's the original isn't it? I remember when they used to have a late night infomercial for it. I only recall the liquid version popping up fairly recently - within the last 10 years maybe (?).

Check motorcycle shops.

Guess we go to different shops :D

It would be cool to see a polish shoot out... not sure it is a variable worth optimising though. I am sure they (Flitz, Simichrome, Autosol, Mother's) all, roughly speaking, do the same job!

Guess we go to different shops :D

Actually, I don't frequent motorcycle establishments and I don't have any Simichrome. Simichrome is often used on motorcycle exhaust pipes and motorbike shops are an often recommended place to get it.

FWIW, I use Mothers (got mine at Autobarn FWIW), which I seem to recall reading is 0.5 micron AlOx in a petroleumy ammoniumy base.

So what's the best way to get the knife clean after simichrome and such things? Is hot water and soap enough or should I give it a rubdown with acetone to be on the safe side?

Simichrome is published on their web page at least.

I am referring to the blue paste Flitz; it's the only one I've used. That's the original isn't it? I remember when they used to have a late night infomercial for it. I only recall the liquid version popping up fairly recently - within the last 10 years maybe (?).
Gesswein isn't the manufacturer of Simichrome, though: Happich is. Anyway I'm not saying it's *not* 8-10 micron abrasive, just that I haven't seen it stated from the source. Works fine for my use without knowing the exact micron designation.

OK I'm going to have to finally buy some Simichrome and try it out. I've been using Flitz since the '90s but I can't resist the draw.

BTW, Flitz stinks and it wrecks a sharp edge instantly so I'm not in love with it.

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm just curious as to how you guys clean the knives to food safe after using simichrome on them? Would soap and warm water be enough?

I finally bought some Simichrome and while I have nothing to report on how it works on knives (since I haven't used it for that yet) I wanted to share how incredibly GREAT it cleaned up the headlights on my wife's car. I used to use Flitz for this and that worked good enough but Simichrome blew that away in a fraction of the time and with far less product being used. That alone is a big time win for me.

So what's the best way to get the knife clean after simichrome and such things? Is hot water and soap enough or should I give it a rubdown with acetone to be on the safe side?

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm just curious as to how you guys clean the knives to food safe after using simichrome on them? Would soap and warm water be enough?

Yeah... thorough application of detergent and a rinse should be enough. If you are paranoid you could wipe off as much as possible, rub down with isopropyl alcohol then clean with detergent.

Back