Soft cutting board recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinyunggyun

Banned
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good soft cutting boards that can be a substitute for hasagawa or asahi?

I'm looking for this because neither companies do custom size boards, and they don't make one in the size that I need.

what size are you looking for?

i have cut hi-soft boards before. i bought huge ones and cut them down because it was cheaper that way.

I'm looking for 18 inch x 24 inch. What do you think of no Trax cutting boards?

I'm looking for 18 inch x 24 inch. What do you think of no Trax cutting boards?

I use Sani-Tuff boards and really like them. I've got two of the 15"x20". They don't catch edges too bad, but IIRC, they aren't as soft as some of the other rubber boards. However, I haven't noticed any unusual dulling.

I'd buy them again. Especially if they were the only ones to make the size I wanted.

I use Sani-Tuff boards and really like them. I've got two of the 15"x20". They don't catch edges too bad, but IIRC, they aren't as soft as some of the other rubber boards. However, I haven't noticed any unusual dulling.

I'd buy them again. Especially if they were the only ones to make the size I wanted.
Oh yeah? What are some other rubber cutting boards you have tried?

Oh yeah? What are some other rubber cutting boards you have tried?

None of them.

I get an itch to buy a Hasegawa or Asahi every so often, but I never end up checking out. I always wind up saying, "What will this do that my current boards will not? What will this do better?"

Haven't come up with an answer yet.

If you're not sure about Sani-Tuff, buy one of the little 6"x8" boards from Amazon to test it out.

I'm looking for 18 inch x 24 inch.

https://www.korin.com/kitchen/cutting-boards
you could cut a 47.2" x 16.5" board in half to yield two 23.6" x 16.5" boards. pretty close, right? that's what i did.

i made two sets of boards. i gave the second set to my brother.

i bought:
  • 1x 47.2" x 16.5" (cut in half) (XL)
  • 3x 15.75" x 11.5" (two left intact, one cut in half) (medium)
to yield two sets of three boards:
  • 23.6" x 16.5" (large)
  • 15.75" x 11.5" (medium)
  • 7.88" x 11.5" (small)
i used a jigsaw and then cleaned up the cut with a hand plane. i also chamfered the edges with the plane.

i can fit the small and medium boards in the dishwasher, which i appreciate. note that i use a low temp (150°F) cycle though to prevent warping.

the prices have gone up since i bought mine though...

If you go through a Parker Asahi retailer they should be able to order a custom size for you.
(Pricing in pic is NZD, freight kills!)

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_124456.jpg
    IMG_20211214_124456.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 12
The asahi professional board 114 is 1200mm x 450mm (I only understand metric not imperial measurements sorry) you could buy 1 cut it in half and you get 2 boards! The 114 comes in 20mm and 30mm thickness

The asahi professional board 114 is 1200mm x 450mm (I only understand metric not imperial measurements sorry) you could buy 1 cut it in half and you get 2 boards! The 114 comes in 20mm and 30mm thickness
What tool would you use to cut an asahi board in half?

Back