"Spicy Salmon"... what's in that?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonedEdge

Banned
Reaction score
As the title be suggests, spicy Salmon...what seems like a concoction of minced raw salmon, fish roe and some sort of red-ish, mildly spicy sauce. A staple in any mediocre all you can eat sushi joint. But what is it?

How would I go about recreating this?
Anyone try doing this at home or on the job?

Apologies in advance if this isn't the proper section for recipe recommendations

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the reply! Those ingredients sound about right for the dish I had in mind

Look into making or buying some rayu (Japanese chili oil).

It's fairly easy to make and a nice thing to have in the pantry. And at least for me, once you start making one, it's hard to not go a little crazy and start making others (sichuan peppercorns etc).

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/homemade-rayu-from-japanese-soul-cooking-cookbook.html

Kadoya is my favorite brand of sesame oil to use.

S&B sells a brand with crunchy garlic... when I make rayu I like it to be spicier, but it's still pretty damn tasty and a nice snack on a bowl of rice. My local Asian supermarkets stocks it although it's still pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF028XQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've never had spicy salmon but for spicy tuna I like chili oil, kewpie, green onions, fried garlic, sesame seeds, and soy sauce. When I'm making sushi I'd rather splurge and get really good quality fish and use more soy sauce and less mayo. Drenching just mediocre fish in spicy mayo can leave you kinda grossed out at home...

My advice would also be to try your hand at doing temaki/hand rolls. It's actually how I prefer to eat spicy tuna and can be less intimidating than trying rolls. Get good nori, make a spicy salmon/tuna/tako mix that you enjoy, cut up some veggies if you're feeling fancy, make some nice sushi rice (or at least try :biggrin:), and then stuff your face. It can be fun with friends too - everyone giving it a shot & playing with their food.

Last edited by a moderator:
JDA thank you for the insight. Going to try my hand at makig some rayu over the long weekend

Back