Stainless opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DWDEL, This is a fun exercise but we all know that heat treating is more important that steel type--most of the time. One steel that is treated masterfully can be a joy to use and sharpen, while that same steel by a less experienced smith will not yield the same results. Consider AEBL, its very low in carbon but in the hands of a master (Devin Thomas), it is transformed into an ideal kitchen steel. All of the steels mentioned are excellent and there are others. A stainless steel from knives branded by Chef Choice is Trizor and its one of the tuffest SS i've ever seen and gets super sharp, just not that easy to sharpen. I really like Yusuke and JKI Gonbi Swedish stainless and a big fan of Kono. Ginsan too.

I think it really is a question of heat-treatment when it comes to steels. There's no such thing as "the best steel. Ever", AEB-L treated by Marko or Robin (ones I tried) is great, Ginsanko from Tanaka as well. Others might totally mess up those steels. Same with the infamous VG-10. I don't think it's a bad steel, it's just not that easy to heat treat it properly, apparently... #chipchipaway

I should have mentioned in the original post that the steel in question is properly heat treated. I'm relatively new to this level of knife appreciation but I've already discovered the results of improper heat treatment. I've got a VG-10 that's performed well and a much more expensive R-2 (damascus) that's been really chippy.

Also, part of the reason I wanted to solicit opinions from you all, is that I'm trying to put together a good set of butchering knives to replace my Victorinox's and Dexter's, that can take the abuse of boning out roasts and removing aitch bones and still make nice, clean cuts without having to resharpen or wipe down too often. I was thinking stainless would be the way to go, hence the original question. Marko is making a 135mm boning knife for me in AEB-L; it'll be my first AEB-L knife so I'm really looking forward to that. I appreciate the opinions and discussions.

Perhaps I shouldn't limit it to stainless. I've got a Marko scimitar in 52100 that's awesome and a Butch Harner 7" bullnose butcher that would be perfect if it were 3" longer, but I worry about working around bones on carbon steel. I've tried R. Murphy's carbon steel line and I like them but the edge retention isn't great and the grind on the bullnose butcher is awkward. So the search continues.

Niolox/SB1 (as in Schanz) and Ginsanko (as in Tanaka) for me

I think I would agree with alterwisser having used many stainless knives I think once you get up to 1%C they're all going to be about as good as a true stainless will get, I'm obviously not including PM steel in my considerations.

But the Sukenari and Tanaka Ginsan knives just seem easier to sharpen to me, almost like a nice carbon knife where the burr just wants to fall off for you. I have had a well made aebl and I really like Tojiro actually. But none seem as easy to sharpen as the Ginsan. AUS-8 is just ok. AUS-10 seems alot like VG-10 to me, but maybe this is the first steel I would say I thought had large carbides (AUS-10)... very toothy indeed like benuser said but didn't respond like VG-10 to high grit stones.

Anyone ever get one of those Kanetsugu ZA-18 knives?? Supposed to compete with VG-10

Stainless IMO is not necessary for butchery, I don't think meat is overly acidic, and I have said elsewhere (maybe earlier in this thread even) that butchery NECESSITATES cleanliness therefore reactivity should be really of no concern. I used a Misono swedish clone for a few months doing butchery (mostly fish, little beef) and while the patina was always alot of fun I never once had issues with it reacting to the stuff I was processing and I don't consider myself to be the most cleanly cook in any kitchen.

My neeman elmax chef blade seems to hold an edge nice. Doesn't really like wet stones as much as my white paper 1 deba.

I got into carbons many years ago while working as a butcher helper. A lot of fish would clean fresh Mahi Mahi. Now come frozen sides in a box. Always used a stainless boning knife.

For chef knives AEB-L, Gensan G3, and whatever is in the Gesshin Ginga. Also a fan of the powder steels have sharpened SRS-15, SKD, Hap40, Tojiro HSPS. Don't know about other steels like ZPD 189 and others have never sharpened. My experience is they are a not hard to sharpen at all. You can really put a screaming edge on powder steel.

Have and still do sharpen cheap stainless, can put a decent edge on most, have come across some blades that are a b&$% to get an edge on.

I forgot about Ginsan (G3) as well, Tanaka really knocked this one out of the park gets just about as sharp as my AEB-L from Randy

Back