Starting my shopping list, new member from Spooner, Wisconsin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Name is Spencer Churchill and I'm an owner of a gastropub/brewpub with a passion for fine cutlery.

I spend the bulk of my 10-12 hour days prepping unique eats and working in various locations on our kitchen line. I'd really like to splurge on some kick ass knives, for heavy commercial use and also a separate line up for home. But work comes first. I found this questionaire on another thread so I'm going to run through it and see if anyone bites!

Cheers, and I look forward to following along.

Northern WI, US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Chef's Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western handle as that's what I'm used to, but would really like Japanese handle down to road to see if I like them.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Open to either 210mm or 240mm but leaning towards 240mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Stainless steel as I prefer less maintenance. I also might be occasionally sharing the knife with other staff members who might be more careless with the knife than I would. If there is a big advantage with getting non-stainless steel that I wouldn't mind it.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
I really just want to spend $150-$200+

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Commercial use. But would also be interested in home use blades/

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing, chopping, and mincing vegetables. Slicing meat and fish. Cutting hard and soft charcuterie cheeses.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
A Misono 440 8.4" and 11.8"

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Primarily pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cut, slice, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Honestly, I'm not upset with the Misono. Nut I'm not necessarily loyal to it either.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

I like curb appeal, but really I'm not set on anything.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Doesn't matter. Haven't used enough "nice" knives to know what works for me. Preferably nothing like Dexter-Russel ;)

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
I'd like to be able to use it right out of the box but wouldn't mind putting time in otherwise. Smooth push cutting is a must. Rock chopping isn't too frequent for me. Better food release would be great. I typically use a honing rod daily on the Misono, with a whetstone maybe once a month. But easy sharpening would be nice

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
See above

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
I could afford to become more proficient, but yes I do

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

Welcome.

Have you considered semistainless knives? A Kikuichi SEM ($260) or a Sakon Ryuga SRS-15 ($230) are unfortunately above your price point, but a Kanehide TK ($140) would definitely fit the "stainless enough to pose no hassle", "easier to sharpen" and "not too worried if lesser-skilled people borrow it" descriptions.

https://www.chefknives togo.com/katkgy24.html

Last edited:
I would have enjoyed my time working in restaurant and hotel kitchens (down in and around Madison, WI) more if I had had better knives-

These two are made in Canada by North Arm. Very stainless, very sharp out of the box, quite hard but sharpen reasonably easily. G10 handles standard, Carbon fiber (and sometimes wood) handles are also offered. Lighter than my old Henckels 4 stars (what isn't!). S35VN blades at 58 - 60 RHC.

https://northarmknives.com/product-category/kitchen-knives/?c=d115e58d09e2
20190723_171438.jpg

20190723_171029.jpg

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/01/13/s35vn-steel-properties-and-how-to-heat-treat/

Last edited:
Back