Stone ID Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
I know, I know... this is meant to be my game innit. But when it comes to Japanese synths, especially the higher grits, I’m a bit lost.

I found these three at work today, caked in black dirt and ‘mystery spills’. This was the cleanest:

027E00AF-4D83-4672-BC25-BF98A14DAD8A.jpeg

But after a fair bit of atoma-ing, they now look like this:

F3E24116-5051-4576-8EB0-C184FA6CB038.jpeg

The one on the left is a pretty mint green colour. With speckles. I’ve not tried any of these yet but from the feel this is quite a fine stone, high 1000s I’d guess (though my famous and much-admired ‘tooth test’ is less accurate when it comes to synths. Or maybe I just haven’t got my tooth in yet. ;)). Glued into a plastic holder which might help with id-ing(?). Could it be the Suehiro G-8 I’ve been wanting to try for a very long time?

B47F0E22-1451-4B56-9CEB-8647EC419608.jpeg

Middle stone isn’t actually pink like it looks above, it’s more custard yellow like a typical coti colour. No speckles, but it is cracked. This stone is coarser - early 1000s at a guess. Glued onto a wooden dai.

CD34E325-7E63-401F-87DA-7CB6C594F974.jpeg

Last stone is a kinda light-greeny-yellowy-mustardy colour. With speckles. Feels back to being quite fine, but perhaps not quite as fine as the first(?). Also glued on a wood dai.

DC41576D-CA83-426A-87BA-DE1461F687CB.jpeg

So team... what have I got???

Oh and - the middle coarser stone was also significantly harder than the finer stones under an atoma.

SS10k looking a pretty surefire bet for Stone 1 I think:

18D8F847-B957-4B81-AB0B-76992E468402.jpeg

Other two still up for grabs though, and don’t be afraid to toss up a random guess. If you’re wrong it will be forgotten by the morrow, but imagine the glory if you win. The cheering crowds, the untold admiration of your peers, your name etched for evermore in the annals of Kitchen Knife Forums history...

Mid one looks a Suehiro 1000 to me, the last one I have to guess wildly but not much mid-grit synthetic stones in that color: Shapton orange medium.

Middle is finer than than the Cerax 1k. Could be the King Ice Bear 4k or 6k I suppose...

And the last one is way finer than the SP1k. (Also apologies - my phone camera's colour fidelity is pants. It's more of a yellow-green, than yellow-orange.)

The speckled surface and colour on the first and third stone look very similar to my SP2000 and SP12000.

the last one looks like a Japanese exclusive shapton with the wooden bases

Interesting, could be - I think all of these were probably bought in Japan.

Though actually I'm now relatively certain that 3rd one is the King Ice Bear 10k. The pic below is of someone else's, which is a spot-on colour match and glued onto the same wooden dai. The same stone is apparently sometimes also sold as 8k, so my trusty tooth test would be a perfect match too.

IMG-8562 (1).jpg

The middle one I'm medium confident is an Ice Bear 4k.

Back