Suehiro Akamonmae: extra large

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
Akamonmae-to R-4 | Suehiro Corporation

This series of stones appears to be the "red brick" on CKTG which seems to get favorable reviews. While looking for something a little coarser from Suehiro, I'm thinking this 1K grit stone might be a good option.

I am curious about any reviews and what retailers would carry this stone. eBay came up empty so I wonder about Rakuten and specialty retailers I may not frequent.

TIA,
Sid

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Funny thing, exactly one day before your thread I was on a whim looking for the current prices for the slightly smaller version of this stone (Suehiro Akamonmae-to R2) and found that this stone, no matter what size, was no longer available anywhere will. Not in online shops, not on ebay (and those stones were often found there), nowhere on the damn internet. It seems that these stones are disappearing from the market.

And I think that's a shame, I really like my Akamonzen, provided it's permasoaked. It has a lot of parallels with the King Deluxe stones, but is still a bit different in terms of feeling and feedback. It is not the fastest stone (it doesn't have to be that either, there are coarse stones for heavy lifting) but very pleasant in terms of the grinding feel, medium-hard, this stone produces mud and this stone produces a really very good edge, an interesting sharpness with bite. It wears relatively slowly, nonetheless I flatten my stones with an Atoma diamond plate for a short time after use.

As I said, I like this stone very much. Should you still find a supplier for this stone, then I would like to find out, even if my stone will last a long time.

I bought my stone from the ebay seller japanissimo, in his current offer he sells almost no whetstones anymore, that was different in the past. Maybe you could write to him on ebay and ask if he could get one of these stones for you? I don't have a better idea, but maybe that helps a little ?!

Here is the link to his seller profile:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/japanissimo?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
As for experiences with this stone, if I remember correctly then @cotedupy had one of them in the past, maybe he can add a few more impressions here ?!

Back