Sugimoto #6 or #7?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeardedOne

Reaction score
Hey Together,

Maybe you can help me out with some Advice. I want to spend some Money on a new Chukabocho. It will be used as my "do it all" Workhorse in a Hotel kitchen. I already broke it down to a Sugimoto but I'm unsure with the blade thickness and weight. As I wrote I do nearly everything with a Chuka. From breaking down Fish and Poultry to very fine Vegetable work. In most situations, I know to use the weight to my favor with a 440g Vietnamese Cung as the heaviest thing I used so far.
So I'm on the fence between a Sugimoto #6 or #7. Sometimes I need to work very precisely and cut very fine slices, julienne or brunoise, sometimes I need to Chop the head off of a 15kg Catfish. Right now I tend more to #7 because the pronounced distal taper maybe will allow me to make all the fine work with chin and the hard stuff with the heel of the knife.
But on the other Hand, with over 500g (17,6oz) it is a very heavy beast and I'm afraid that this weight could be too clunky for really fine work or in stressful situations.

Would be happy to get your Opinions.

Thanks!

Given that you are committed to using it as a one knife cooking situation i think you will get used to the weight of a #7 quickly, especially in professional environment.
that weight is also very good for fine work because the knife will assist in the downward slicing as you know. and 500g isnt that much off from your existing 440g situation.

I used full sized 220-230mm chuckas for a couple of years myself and i had some thin and lightweight ones and some heavier ones in the 450-480g weight and i preferred the heavier ones for mass bulk prep and daily use. the thinner ones felt less convincing and i didnt notice any fatigue in my hands or arms over hours of use with the heavier ones, and my preferred one is the heaviest one i own. One of my co-workers bought if for me when he went to hong kong.

i would go big

Hi.
I use a no 7 Sugimoto and think its a good all rounder. I have used mine in a pro kitchen. you get use to the weight and dont think about it after awhile. Sharpening it is a breeze as well.
Cheers

I've never used a 6 but I have a 7 that I tend to save for heavy jobs. Its a real beast as cleavers go. I did have to raise the edge angle slightly for chicken bone chopping. It was just a little too flat with the factory edge and I was picking up some small dings on things like leg bones.

Back