• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Sugimoto CM4030 Stainless Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this Sugimoto. I generally don’t use stainless cleaver. But I needed one at work. I picked up a Masahiro cleaver, modified it and really liked it. Even made a new handle after.

In the mean time I was curious about this particular Sugi’s performance and ended up with a purchase. I tried one time at work and couple times at home but ended up reaching more to my Masahiro.

Overall this CM4030 is great performer. Thin behind the edge, very nimble knife. I got rid of the sandblast finish so it may show some scratch marks. I sealed the gap on bolster with epoxy. There are some small overgrinds (at right side close the heel and left side close to tip) but they are not significant to effect performance. I sharpen it one time, right after I bought. Factory edge wasn’t really sharp. I used Naniwa Pro 800+3K and strop.

Probably better steel than Masahiro, but I have strong bonds with it. So this Sugimoto needs to find a new house.

(Apologies for my weird photos. I tried to catch everything in video.)

Specs:
Length: 190mm
Width: 92.5 / 95.4 / 93.3mm
Weight: 350g
Overall Length: 298mm
Thickness (on Heel): 2.2mm (at heel) / 1.7mm (at tip)

Asking for $180 shipped CONUS

Thanks

(I’m also selling a Turkish/Cretan stone here)

For anyone interested, I can tell you that the front end of these cleavers are noticeably thinner than the choil shot would suggest. They are very compact with lots of chopping power and the steel is very solid, good edge retention with carbon-like feel in edge taking. And the profile on this one looks really good, not too much belly/curve.

One of my favorite videos of one of these in action:

Back