what food do others LOVE but you don't?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truffle flavor on stuff.

Bagels, NY style pizza, halal cart type Middle Eastern food is mid. I've lived in NYC and learned to keep that opinion to myself... Just don't even get a New Yorker started.

Glad I don't know the smell of mashed stinkbugs. Shiso leaf just tastes to me like a less exuberant version of mint.

I love pork liver and chicken liver, but I sure wouldn't love them cooked "dry and mealy." You have to catch it at the moment the red disappears from the center. Or even a bit earlier, for us liver fans. Calves liver is...OK, I guess. Fully grown cow liver is, to my taste, disgusting, just too intense. Maybe I'll like it when I'm 90 and almost all of my tastebuds are gone, and I am desperate for something with flavor.
Pigs liver is the best, followed by Calves. Beef liver is blah.

As for kidneys you can't go wrong with Lambs.

You have to fight the gag reflex when eating black pudding, once you know whats in it. Takes training.
If you ask a Chinese what they love I'm pretty sure half of it will not be to the Western palette. Gizzards, intestines, stomach, chicken feet, congealed chicken blood, Durian, fish eyes and brain of various origin, cat and dog meat etc.
Italians love pigs trotters and horse meat, something I just couldn't eat either.

Kale.

Like seriously who likes eating a cardboard box?

And people keeping telling me you need to massage it - like a massaged, wet cardboard box tastes any better?

I guess for me kale is like cilantro is for those people who have the gene that makes it taste like soap. No matter how small you chop up kale into a salad, I will tell you within the first mouthful that crap cardboard is in there.

Scots are a strange bunch, what with their haggis, deep fried mars bars, all washed down with Irn Bru. Partial to their whisky though, so not all bad.
The Welsh aren't much better with their Laver Bread (boiled seaweed basically resulting in a slimy concoction) and faggots. Used to be fed these by my grandmother but credit where credits due, she made great faggots. The apron covering is REALLY hard to find now that the traditional butcher is disappearing.

Last edited:
Kale.

Like seriously who likes eating a cardboard box?

And people keeping telling me you need to massage it - like a massaged, wet cardboard box tastes any better?

I guess for me kale is like cilantro is for those people who have the gene that makes it taste like soap. No matter how small you chop up kale into a salad, I will tell you within the first mouthful that crap cardboard is in there.
What I really don't understand is why you'd use it in a salad above... just about any other green leaf. Why not just use spinach. 🤷‍♂️
Admittedly I'm a bit biased since my gut doesn't tolerate brassica in the first place, but even before that was an issue I never understood the somewhat recent American obsession with kale as a health food...
If that's what long life is supposed to taste like I don't mind dying early. I'd rather eat the toxic mushrooms instead.

What I really don't understand is why you'd use it in a salad above... just about any other green leaf. Why not just use spinach. 🤷‍♂️
Admittedly I'm a bit biased since my gut doesn't tolerate brassica in the first place, but even before that was an issue I never understood the somewhat recent American obsession with kale as a health food...
If that's what long life is supposed to taste like I don't mind dying early. I'd rather eat the toxic mushrooms instead.

I have no idea, but a lot of salad packages you can buy over here contain kale. Pretty much every chopped style one.

I blame Big Kale - they realize no one wants it, so they just get it chopped up and into everything.

I have no idea, but a lot of salad packages you can buy over here contain kale. Pretty much every chopped style one.

I blame Big Kale - they realize no one wants it, so they just get it chopped up and into everything.
Funny enough over here it's always been eaten... as a cooked / boiled vegetable, often in combinations with mashed potatoes (boerenkool stamppot)... yet I don't think I've ever seen any supermarket here trying to do something as outrageous as sell it in a salad. I guess people here know better. :D
You have to fight the gag reflex when eating black pudding, once you know whats in it. Takes training.
If you ask a Chinese what they love I'm pretty sure half of it will not be to the Western palette. Gizzards, intestines, stomach, chicken feet, congealed chicken blood, Durian, fish eyes and brain of various origin, cat and dog meat etc.
Italians love pigs trotters and horse meat, something I just couldn't eat either.
Honestly you're missing out on horse meat. Even the worst horse meat I've eaten rivals most of the better beef. It's basically really high quality beef, a bit sweeter (not so much gamey, just a bit different), really high on flavor. I'm genuinely bummed it became harder to acquire in recent years after all the horse meat scandals.

Funny enough over here it's always been eaten... as a cooked / boiled vegetable, often in combinations with mashed potatoes (boerenkool stamppot)... yet I don't think I've ever seen any supermarket here trying to do something as outrageous as sell it in a salad. I guess people here know better. :D

It's things like this: https://www.loblaws.ca/salad-kit-chopped-sesame-wonton/p/21378027_EA

This style of chopped salad is pretty common in most of our stores. I don't buy them a lot, but they are useful for weekends at the cottage, where I'm just trying to buy a salad to go with a single meal, and we don't want leftover stuff in the fridge (as due to scheduling we can never quite be sure when we'll be back)

Have to check every time if there is kale in them.

Honestly you're missing out on horse meat. Even the worst horse meat I've eaten rivals most of the better beef. It's basically really high quality beef, a bit sweeter (not so much gamey, just a bit different), really high on flavor. I'm genuinely bummed it became harder to acquire in recent years after all the horse meat scandals.
They’ve actually outlawed eating horse here in ‘Fornia. We have a huge “bored rich women” political interest group.

They’ve actually outlawed eating horse here in ‘Fornia. We have a huge “bored rich women” political interest group.
If you're allowed to ride them you should be allowed to eat them. From what I've heard most of the horse meat that gets processed comes from the equine 'industry'.

If you're allowed to ride them you should be allowed to eat them. From what I've heard most of the horse meat that gets processed comes from the equine 'industry'.
Then whats left gets transported to the glue factory

Kale seems like it would be good if you cooked it to tenderness in bacon fat, maybe. Raw, it's just gross, including the texture.

Edit to add comment: why waste good bacon fat?
20200527_202546-1.jpg

Last edited:
How do we feel about snails on the forum?
Personally, I really like the, but only small ones. Once they get too large and into like apple snail territory I find them to be a bit less agreeable.
I could eat bowls and bowls of Vietnamese woolly snails in coconut milk.

How do we feel about snails on the forum?
Personally, I really like the, but only small ones. Once they get too large and into like apple snail territory I find them to be a bit less agreeable.
I could eat bowls and bowls of Vietnamese woolly snails in coconut milk.
Like frogs legs, a bit of a culinary gimmick. Personally I've only had them in France and the butter plug was so packed with garlic the experience has like chomping down on a garlic flavoured pencil rubber.

My personal dislike is uncooked shellfish like oysters. What is the point of swallowing something you don't chew?

Whenever I had snails they felt like herbed rubber to me. Can't say I care for it.
Frog legs are alright; they're just like really tender chicken. Nothing particularly exciting but nothing offensive either IMO.

Oysters aren't my cuppa tea either. I generally don't like raw proteins, whether it's fish, meat or shellfish... only cheese gets a pass from me. Would probably like oysters a whole lot more if they were fried or breaded & deepfried...

I really liked the snails I had in Alsace, swimming in herbed garlic butter. I'm not sure the snails were really involved in that, though. I'd probably have been as happy with just the bread basket and the dish of herbed garlic butter.

Stunt food

Coming from a family that does not waste food, I absolutely cannot stand stunt food. And that’s putting aside taking a perfectly good dish and dumping 1/2lb of cheese on it.

Stunt food

Coming from a family that does not waste food, I absolutely cannot stand stunt food. And that’s putting aside taking a perfectly good dish and dumping 1/2lb of cheese on it.
Stunt food?

Oh, is that when people pour gallons of pasta all over their table for Instagram doots? Or those giant 40 patty tall burgers?

Back