• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Sugimoto, Moritaka and Azuma Minamoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Hi all, haven't been around these parts in ages but the need for clearing out the drawers has risen again. So with that said, I'm looking to sell a couple of my cleavers and some single bevels. Listing prices in AUD and the USD equivalent. Happy for paypal or bank transfers (in Australia). I'll pay shipping within Australia but any overseas sales shipping will be on the buyer, sorry but AusPost isn't cheap. Last I recall, it's around $60 AUD for recorded (uninsured) basic airmail to the States or Europe for a cleaver.

All knives have been used in a professional environment and although I'm cautious with my knives I also treat them as tools so please keep this in mind. I haven't actively used any of these knives for a while and as such they could all use a proper sharpening to bring them back up to potential. I'm more than happy to give specific details or pictures on request. Also, unfortunately I no longer have boxes for any of these knives.

First up:
Sugimoto OMS6. 425g 218x109 Bought in Japan about 2 years ago. It's been used in a professional environment on rotation with other knives. In good condition but bares the usual marks of Sugimoto i.e. pretty deep scratches out of the box, rounded but not polished heel and choil etc. Presumably white 2, easy to sharpen, holds it's edge well and (in my opinion) one of the most comfortable cleavers going around. It had a bit of an unattractive patina going so I've given it a rub with some fine sand paper. Also comes with the black pleather, velcro saya thingie.

Asking $500AUD ($343.76USD)

Next:
Sugimoto OMS7. 646g 219x109 Pretty much identical details to above but used a lot less. I actually prefer this knife but it is substantially heavier so I don't tend to use it as much at work. Likewise, it's had the patina removed and comes with the saya thingie. There's a very small nick in the saya where the heel caught the material.

Asking $500AUD ($343.76USD)

Next:
Moritaka Aogami 2 large cleaver. 410g 218x106. Bought this guy from Carbon Knife Co about 18 months ago. Great knife, CCK vibes with better steel and finish. The edge was too flat out of the box IMO so I rounded off the heel and tip. It could probably use a little thinning to bring out the best in it, but I've been happy enough. Feels light in the hand, handle's a nice width although I find a touch on the long side (I'm not a huge fan of wa handles on cleavers though), kuroichi finish is a little patchy as well (starting to rub off on one side). Handle is rosewood I believe and d-shape.

Asking $250AUD ($171.86USD)

Next:
AM 300mm Yanagiba blue 1. 196g 290mm edge, 303mm tip to heel, 33mm at the heel. Bought in Japan on the same trip as the Sugimotos. Not used very much by me, but got pretty abused by a chef of some fame (who will remain nameless) and need some heavy sharpening to get all the chips out. I did this and in full disclosure, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about single bevels and correct form when sharpening, but as far as I can tell, it still gets super sharp and cuts well from my, albeit, limited experience. Pretty utilitarian finish typical of Azuma Minamoto. Comes with a saya and pin, ho wood, octagonal handle, buffalo horn.

Asking $250AUD ($171.91USD)

Finally:
AM 210mm deba white 2. 390g 210mm edge, 227mm tip to heel, 54mmx6mm at the heel. Bought on the same trip again. Not used very much, I never got the knack of using debas for fish and I much prefer using my cleavers for fish prep (don't judge all you sushi chefs out there). Due to my average technique with single bevels, I've chipped this knife quite a few times and sharpened them out and as with the yanagiba it would most likely benefit from being sharpened by someone who knows what they're doing, but it still gets plenty sharp in my hands and it's not a fancy knife to be finessed so I didn't care much about babying it. Probably a good option for someone who wants a beater deba or wants to try out a 210mm. Comes with saya and pin, ho wood, buffalo horn and d-shaped handle.

Asking $150AUD ($103.10USD)

Pics to follow.

Cheers,

Josh

20200105_154556.jpg
20200105_154652.jpg
20200105_154703.jpg
20200105_154733.jpg
20200105_154752.jpg
20200105_155025.jpg
20200105_155105.jpg
20200105_155117.jpg