sukenari ginsanko vs tanaka ginsanko

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfinger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Dario and i'm from Italy..
I already use a japanese knife a sakai takayuki 210 gyuto swedish stainless steel.
Want to get a 240 gyuto but I don't know what to choose between a sukenari G3 (only stamped version available from JCK) or a tanaka G3(only nashiji version available from k&s).
I work in a rastaurant and prefer a stainless and from my budget I've chosen these two knives.
Thanks for help
Dario

Welcome Dario. I can't speak to the Sukenari, don't have one, never used one. I do have the Tanaka G3 from K&S and like it a lot. It's robust enough for anything in a commercial kitchen, thin enough to go all day, just a hint of a belly for when it's time to rock some herbs.

The Itinomonn Stainless from Japanese Natural Stones also merits consideration.

Looks like you're choosing between two nice knives.

Welcome Dario. I can't speak to the Sukenari, don't have one, never used one. I do have the Tanaka G3 from K&S and like it a lot. It's robust enough for anything in a commercial kitchen, thin enough to go all day, just a hint of a belly for when it's time to rock some herbs.

The Itinomonn Stainless from Japanese Natural Stones also merits consideration.

Looks like you're choosing between two nice knives.

Thanks Daveb,

Do you have the Tanaka nashiji version?
There are a lots of difference between the nashiji and the migaky version?
THanks

Migaki is much thinner and the nashiji is a wide bevel knife making it very easy to sharpen

Thanks Daveb,

Do you have the Tanaka nashiji version?
There are a lots of difference between the nashiji and the migaky version?
THanks

I have the nashiji or pear finish knives. Had a 210 - liked it a lot but it was not practicle for bulk prep (for me) I have and use a 240 and a 270. 210 and 240 from K&S, 270 from MM. They wouldn't be termed lasers by anyone but are thin and retain edge well.

Itinomonn is 15% off at the moment. I think it's a much better all-rounder than the nashiji Tanaka. Never tried Sukenari.

I have The Tanaka migaki version and it is thinner of the two (laser-esque even) and has a convex grind. Never used the the Nashiji version, but will get one at some point. I love the Migaki it is a lovely cutter. It's one of the thinnest behind the edge knives I have.

I would be very interested to try how the extra weight and wide bevel grind of the nashiji would feel. The recent Tanaka nashiji ginsans have a thinner behind the edge geometry than they used to before. The profile looks the same on the K&S Tanaka migaki and K&S Tanaka nashiji.

Get one! :doublethumbsup:

Never used the Sukenari.

+1 for the Itinomonn. It's another personal favourite. One of the best allrounders ever!!!

There's a fantastic looking nashiji Tanaka ginsanko in bst at the moment. Somebody should pounce.

The tanaka in BST is the migaki version not the nashiji...
I don't know why but at the moment I would prefer to get the sukenary ginsan, but there's only available the stamped version not the forged and this things let me think a bit...
Do you think the a lot of difference between the two versions?

There might be differences in grind, f&f, etc, the forging in itself should not provide any advantage though.

Back