Media Sushi dreams

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No toronto showing...guess I just have to wait for online version

Just saw this yesterday at the TIFF Lightbox theater in Toronto.I think it's running till the 29th of March.Such a great film.I highly recommend it.

I went to see it at the Lightbox as well :) Very cool film. It's not so much about the sushi itself - though of course there is some camera-time on the absolutely beautiful works that Jiro and his son serve - but more about the values, way of thinking, and way of seeing the world that they and their circle of chosen suppliers have and practice every day.

Yes I also watched it after finding out about it in an article. Great cinematography. I feel bad for his eldest son.

It made me think of Prince Charles :D

I think Jiro is doing his eldest son a disservice by staying on as the front-man even now. It would be better for the eventual handoff to his son if he slowly moved the limelight from just himself over to him and his son. Based on what we hear in the film, the eldest son has the goods, but I would think a big concern is the public perception of whether he does. *shrug* That's how I see it anyhow.

Just saw it this afternoon. Fantastic documentary and great footage of Jiro + family.

I actually found his praise of Joël Robuchon admirable.

Saw some great knives being used in the kitchen. I can't say what they were, but it was a great movie.

Catch it if you can.

If anyone finds it online, I'd love a link. Don;t think this will be playing in Jasper at the local theater. ha ha

Imagine being a national treasure.

Saw some great knives being used in the kitchen. I can't say what they were, but it was a great movie.

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that their knives were maybe improperly sharpened? I don't know if I should dare to say that, but the tips on all the debas and yanagi-bas in the film were flattened out in the exact way that Jon describes in one of his YouTube videos.

The film itself was great. I would loooove to eat at either of the restaurants that were featured.

Uh oh. I'm gonna have to check out the trailer again :)

Unfortunately, what I'm talking about is not visible in the trailer or the Bourdain clip. The shape of the knives, however, reminded me of exactly what was happening to a forum member's knife here. He posted a thread about it a while back. None of this is to take away from the chefs. I just thought it was interesting that there might be sharpening problems even in the best places.

I actually watched this movie last night, and while it was a very interesting movie, I felt that it could have used some discussion about the sushi itself. Instead, it focused on Jiro's attitude toward his work, and what it takes to become an "expert". (I use the word "expert" here in a very technical sense. See generally, http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u81/Ericsson__Roring__and_Nandagopal__2007_.pdf).

As such, I felt the movie gave me something I didn't expect, and failed to deliver what I expected.

The movie itself was very well shot, and the film language was beautiful. The colorgrading and interviews were superb; however, that being said, I felt that the movie wasn't really worth the money I paid to go see it, the movie was more fit for my TV at home, as a rental, than as a theater purchase, but that's just my personal opinion.

I actually watched this movie last night, and while it was a very interesting movie, I felt that it could have used some discussion about the sushi itself. Instead, it focused on Jiro's attitude toward his work, and what it takes to become an "expert". (I use the word "expert" here in a very technical sense. See generally, http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u81/Ericsson__Roring__and_Nandagopal__2007_.pdf).

As such, I felt the movie gave me something I didn't expect, and failed to deliver what I expected.

The movie itself was very well shot, and the film language was beautiful. The colorgrading and interviews were superb; however, that being said, I felt that the movie wasn't really worth the money I paid to go see it, the movie was more fit for my TV at home, as a rental, than as a theater purchase, but that's just my personal opinion.

That's exactly how I felt about the recently released el Bulli movie, interesting but definitely worth the wait for it to come out on Netflix.

You guys are making me wanna wait for it to go onto DVD...

my wife and i had the pleasure of viewing this movie, Monday night. We both very much enjoyed it.. Very well filmed and highly educational..

Highly recommended viewing..!!!

If you like classical music and don't have great audio equipment at home, then it might be worth going to the theaters. If you have better acoustics at home than at the movie theater, then yea, I'd wait for it to come out on DVD/Netflix. I still liked seeing it on a big screen--nothing like a 15ft piece of nigiri.

I waited over a year to see it, finally did a few days ago. I wasn't disappoint! Stunning well shot and so inspirational... he is truly a legend.

Blu-Ray/DVD Release Date: July 24, 2012

Rent it and enjoy!
Awesome I will be buying this! Looking forward to it. As a side note, I wonder if that is where Bourdain got the idea for the name in Get Jiro I know he had been there.

+1

Thank budda. I definitely will be buying this, even if it have to come from abroad and I have to pay duties over it!

i just watched the video online. very inspirational. although, i gotta say, his apprentice or his son know how to sharpen their yanagiba. looks reformed :knife:

not sure if im allowed to post the link on here or not. it's a torrent i found on the pirate bay, look it up

I brought back this book with me from Japan... Some contents overlap with the movie, and some are uniquely found in this book :)

review_016_0.jpg

since we're talking about sushi in here..... :D

[video=youtube;0b75cl4-qRE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b75cl4-qRE[/video]

Back