Sweet mother of…… I have the craziest GARLIC BREATH!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Wife and I went to the farmers market yesterday. We filled a basket full of good stuff. On the way out we see a garlic farmer. We stopped and my wife started asking questions.

first we NEVER buy that imported stuff. the one that has a mesh tube filled w 5 exact clones of garlic bulbs. They are all the exact same size and perfectly white skinned. They never sprout. Total mystery.

we like dirt stains on our bulbs. Maybe even roots coming out of the bottom. We asked which is the strongest variety. He talked and talked. We walked away with a German Red and a Russian Bogatyr. i tried the Russian stuff. Just a sliver raw. Talk about peppery! Strong. There is a Taiwanese snack of sausage and slivers of raw garlic. We did that.

oh boy. I’m vampire-proof now.
the garlic seller did say to use 1/3 the dose. Haha. My lion head meatballs are totally garlicky.

Attachments

• F7CDBD71-305F-4089-A2F7-ABF54D4DF58A.jpeg
    F7CDBD71-305F-4089-A2F7-ABF54D4DF58A.jpeg
    32.3 KB
garlic and chicken, like 40 cloves inserted in the cavity and put in an oven until cooked and the garlic oozes out like a paste.

Garlic soup (caution; do not eat less than 2 days prior to encountering other people)

Wife and I went to the farmers market yesterday. We filled a basket full of good stuff. On the way out we see a garlic farmer. We stopped and my wife started asking questions.

first we NEVER buy that imported stuff. the one that has a mesh tube filled w 5 exact clones of garlic bulbs. They are all the exact same size and perfectly white skinned. They never sprout. Total mystery.

we like dirt stains on our bulbs. Maybe even roots coming out of the bottom. We asked which is the strongest variety. He talked and talked. We walked away with a German Red and a Russian Bogatyr. i tried the Russian stuff. Just a sliver raw. Talk about peppery! Strong. There is a Taiwanese snack of sausage and slivers of raw garlic. We did that.

the garlic seller did say to use 1/3 the dose. Haha. My lion head meatballs are totally garlicky.
Oh hearing about those foods brings back some nostalgia!

Give this stuff a try. I discovered it after seeing it written up in the SF Gate. A husband and wife team quit their tech jobs here in the bay area to make his grandmothers Lebanese garlic sauce. It's addicting as crack. So delicious. It'll have you vampire repellant for at least 12 hours

https://www.annestoum.com/

I think the ubiquitous green mesh garlic we see at supermarkets all over the country come from China. I'm surprised they don't grow, but not that surprised.

I wish I could find some different varieties of garlic locally. I'm sure they're out there, I just need to look for them. I love garlic. I'm Italian, and even though a lot of the cooking shows talk up using a lot of garlic, it's just not warranted in some dishes. If I'm making meatballs for pasta, two cloves of garlic, smashed, salted and turned into a paste is just about right for me. I don't like it when people put large chunks of garlic in meat and it kind of "steams" inside the meat as it cooks, it effects the taste of the garlic, but the way the garlic is prepared really does effect the outcome.

On the other hand, I definitely break the rule when it comes to scampi, Marsala, or Picatta. A lot of garlic can be delicious. My Chicken or pork loin Marsala isn't traditional, and I like as lot of garlic.

I'm not against a lot of garlic in meat balls if it's done the right way. Your lion head meatballs sound intriguing. How do you make them?

The garlic from China is chemically treated to stop it from growing as they don't spend the time to dry and cure it.

Here in southern Ontario it seems we get the choice of either the Chinese nets or we do get some nice local stuff at our stores. I even bought some decent stuff at a Walmart.

The wife like to support local farmer and just mail ordered these - 1 pound of each as well as some heads for planting
20220916_192508.jpg

I feel like since Covid the average quality of "regular" (meaning like regular priced normal grocery store stuff, not Whole Foods) garlic and onions has gone way down hill. Sometimes I go into Trader Joe's and they're literally selling onions and garlic that are all already black.

Caramelized and herbal, like garlic candy with a side of saffron and ginseng by way of a lemongrass/tamarind hybrid.
Sounds crazy. How is it fermented exactly? I take it the fermentation process somehow adds those lemongrass and tamarind notes?

Sounds crazy. How is it fermented exactly? I take it the fermentation process somehow adds those lemongrass and tamarind notes?
Apparently you chuck it in an Instant Pot set on “low” and for the next two months if you want to do any cooking you have to use your other Instant Pot.

(I tried it once. I gave up after three weeks. It is available commercially. Buy, don't build.)

Back