Synthetic kitchen wipes, friend or foe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Williams Sonoma ones are great and have been my go-to for like 15 years (or whenever Cook's Illustrated first ranked them highly). As with all towels, it's best to wash them separately in a load that does not get fabric softener, as that will seriously compromise the towel's ability to absorb water. That goes for your sheets and bath towels too. Not that you're using your sheets to absorb water, but they'll sleep better without being coated in... coating.

I tend to break old cotton or linen things into towel size pieces and use those. Otherwise paper towels.

Don’t they unravel?

KRAMA are back in stock! We picked up 4 packs of 10 today.
we'll give Krama a whirl, the bamboo wipes are not only tiny to start to then shrink, they also shed fiber like there is no tomorrow (which I guess is true for them)....so our 'ecological footprint' just got zapped by trying to do the right thing...

I bought a set of Krama to give them a go. They better be good, or I'll be haunting your dreams @mengwong ! Any particular things I should or shouldn't be doing with them?

I use them to dry plates after washing, to wipe my hands after washing, to wipe the counter, to dry the precious Shirogami between cuts, that sort of thing. Then they go in the washing machine at 60°C. They’re on the lower end of the $ scale so when they eventually succumb, I don’t lose any sleep. The loop is nice for hanging on hooks and such, and the colours keep everyone (and me) guessing what the subcategories might be. Fun for the whole family!

We did get larger, fancier, plusher towels but those sometimes feel oversized for quick use, like a Samoyed is chasing my hand around the kitchen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back