Takeda sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosco

Reaction score
I currently own four Takeda knives. I love them and have been fixated on learning as much as I can before I purchase any items. I have learned about kasumi finish that is common with the Takeda line, and I want to be able to replicate this best I can.

Takeda recommends his hand sharpen stone which I have learned there are two versions.

#400 & #1200
Newest addition to the stone collection - the finish is more refined.

#800 & #1200
Older stones - deeper scratch marks, but cuts faster than the newer stones.

I am leaning towards the new model to get me started.

After that, I have read that Takeda recommends a natural Japanese stone. From what I am learning, this in conjunction with a Nagura stone for slurry should aid in acting as a finishing stone as well as provide a kasumi finish that I desire. I have also been doing a lot of reading on this forum and a member stated that the king 800 provides excellent slurry due to the soft finish which aids in the kasumi finish.

So my question is...... what would you recommend with the Takeda hand sharpener?

I am leaning towards a Imanishi natural stone but really trying to educate myself with the differences

thanks in advance for any help or recommendations

I personally wouldn't worry about the finish as his knives are meant to be rustic. I'd try to make it sharp and work with the geometry of the knife...jmo.

King 800 will leave a strong contrast between hagane and jigane, but the finish won't be as nice as possible. You'll need to follow up with other stones to get that nice hazy finish. I'm not very good at polishing, but King 800 is among the easiest i've used for that. It's a slow stone to sharpen, though.

Back