Takefu V1?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartleby

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I was lurking around here for some time, but now decided to finally register. English is not my native language, so please excuse grammatical errors. It is my first post here and I already have a question :).

I was in Japan last month and bought two nice knives at the Masamoto shop at the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo. Great experience by the way and I am very happy with the knifes, a 240mm Gyoto and a 120mm Petty, both with western style handles.
Now I am curious about the steels used for both knifes. The Gyoto is stamped with a "V" and the Petty (I was told it is a cheaper steel) with an "A". According to the Masamoto website using Google translate I found, that the Gyoto must be of "Takefu V1" steel. Unfortunately I haven't found a lot of information and experiences about this steel online except that its something between white and blue steel, right? Anyone knows more?
I haven't found the Petty on the Masomoto website, so I don't know which steel it is. Maybe the stamped "A" gives information about this? Any idea?

Greetings from Austria
Stefan

Welcome!

Not sure about V1, but I've used a few different knives in V2 and consider it to be a very nice steel.

Cheers

Thanks for the answers. A similarity to AS sounds good, even if I guess that sharpening will be not sooo easy then.
I also habe a nice V2 Nakiri which I like a lot. But really not sure if the two steels are compareable. Somehow strange that there is basically no experience report found online.....

Stefan,

If you'll go to the link provided (Gator's steel chart) you can compare V1 and V2, just a touch more carbon in V1. I'm getting jealous!

Cheers

Thank you. I just checked. No reason to get jealous, but for the (about) 120€ I payed it was really a good buy I guess. And a really great shopping experience!

Back