Tall knives - v2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's true for very short knives, but most likely not an issue for 45-48 mm tall knives.

Knives can also feel taller or shorter depending on the handle size and shape, size of the neck (emoto) as discussed here. I've experienced this myself, with a pretty tall knife feeling much shorter.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/rambling-thoughts-on-gyuto-profiles.38393/#post-570081

Good point regarding the way the neck is shaped. I think we're just saying in general (all things equal), what is the difference between taller and shorter knives. I would be curious to try a really short blade to see if better food release due to less contact would actually happen the way I envision or if that would just cause food to topple all over everywhere.

Been using this Martell all week so far. 56 at the heel. Really feels blade forward, very confident like my Toyama felt. And also feels very up and down, I know that doesn’t make much sense but imagine what it feels like when you’re handeling a cleaver. The natural way it holds in your handle is very perpendicular to a flat cutting surface.
347AE390-C480-4ED9-90F6-D42A2D994D9D.jpeg

Back