Technique: Push cutting with tip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muru

Reaction score
When cutting things that don’t require a full blade length ie. ginger/peppers into batons, green onions I much prefer to push cut with the tip (or frontpart of the blade).

However with the profile of most/all gyutos this usually leads to accordion cuts. So I either have to use a bit of a rock or use the back half of the blade where the flat spot is to avoid the accordion.

Does anybody else prefer using the tip/front for push cutting or is it just me? And do you also get the accordion?

1590986410972.jpeg

Draw cuts like panda said, also try loosening your grip a bit. I find most gyuto profiles kind of flow with the weight of the knife/force of the cut without a heavy handed rocking motion

I used to feel the same way, that's why I switched to a thin slicing cleaver as my main knife

Totally agree with Panda. I found pull slice very easy with "sharp" gyutos. And it can naturally evolve to fast chopping when speed matters.

Not familiar with pull slice is there vid of that? I suspect I know what you're talking about but a visual would help.

It's not the end of the world, it's just a bit annoying to add a touch of rock to the push cut. I hate using the mid/back section of the blade when I don't have to.

Latest posts

Back