Tell me about Yoshikane knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Classics for a reason. Good balance of food release/sharpenability/performance (true of their White as well as SKD/SLD). Nice profile, height at heel is slightly on the shorter side.
There's a decade's worth of knowledge about Yoshikane on the forum. Search button is your friend.

Last edited:
Classics for a reason. Good balance of food release/sharpenability/performance (true of their White as well as SKD/SLD). Nice profile, slightly on the shorter side.
There's a decade's worth of knowledge about Yoshikane on the forum. Search button is your friend.

Oh! I didn't realize they were that popular. Thanks!

At that price it's tough not to buy just to play around with. Very unique shape

It's my go-to knife at this moment, meaning so far if I can use only one Japanese knife for my whole life, this is probably it. Even though in the future I might find a better knife that suits me, this knife will always be in my heart as my first love. Mine is 240mm Yoshi Dammy SLD btw.

Classics for a reason. Good balance of food release/sharpenability/performance (true of their White as well as SKD/SLD). Nice profile, slightly on the shorter side.
Just a clarification that you probably mean short as in heel height. A few Yoshikane I have seen run longer than advertised (not sure if true for the hammered line too).

Just a clarification that you probably mean short as in heel height. A few Yoshikane I have seen run longer than advertised (not sure if true for the hammered line too).
Yeah, I have the hammered one as well, and it's about 247mm

Yup--heel height not length. (Just changed that in above post.)

I bought my friend the SKD when he got into PA school and graduated from our lab. He loves it. I tried it and loved it, so I went and bought the SLD. Then I went back and bought a second the next day because I'm not seeing them as much and I wanted a backup that much. I've tried around 3 dozen knives by now, including western custom makers who are currently in vogue, and it hit me really right.

Edit : I know three dozen isn't actually that many, just a reasonable basis for comparison. Only been at this about three years.

Last edited:
I have a white #2 Youshi, #1 bang for the buck. It’s inexpensive but still my best cutter & the only knife I’ve used that out cut my Toyama.

The only problem was that it’s anti hobby, having a Yoshi makes it harder to justify more expensive knives, it handily out cut the Shig. Kasumi 3-4 times of the price.

I’m not a dammy fan usually for maintenance reasons but that yoshi sld dammy is a real looker man.

Between yoshi and something like Kaeru it’s night and day. Yoshi sharpens better, feedback just feels lovely on the stones and has better edge retention.
I find the edge isn't super long wearing, but it's so thin it almost doesn't matter. I've got limited sharpening experience, but so far doesn't seem to make a ridiculous burr

My first Yoshi was a dammy kurochi K-tip in SLD. Was like a 240mm nakiri, flat and thin. Beautiful. Liked it but was afraid to get into anything rough with it. Parted with it for too cheap.

Next up was (and is) a Zensho from Maxim, 210 of wonderful SKD. Mike Henry got one at the same time and put a handle on for me. Had another Zensho, 240mm Western but it got lost by the Post Office. A replacement is still my unicorn.

I think my usuba is a white yoshi. Have a stainless Yoshi deba, prob SKD. And a white field knife that will get a deer naked in a hurry.

Most recently acquired a Kashima from Cleancut that Yoshi made, white steel, stainless clad. And an Amekiri from K&S that is almost the same knife.

Like em all. A lot. The only configuration (that I know of) that I haven't tried is the hammered finish. Prob great knives as well but struggle to get past the fugly. And after a couple years of avoiding them there is one in the mail as I type.

I like Yoshikane.

My first Yoshi was a dammy kurochi K-tip in SLD. Was like a 240mm nakiri, flat and thin. Beautiful. Liked it but was afraid to get into anything rough with it. Parted with it for too cheap.

Next up was (and is) a Zensho from Maxim, 210 of wonderful SKD. Mike Henry got one at the same time and put a handle on for me. Had another Zensho, 240mm Western but it got lost by the Post Office. A replacement is still my unicorn.

I think my usuba is a white yoshi. Have a stainless Yoshi deba, prob SKD. And a white field knife that will get a deer naked in a hurry.

Most recently acquired a Kashima from Cleancut that Yoshi made, white steel, stainless clad. And an Amekiri from K&S that is almost the same knife.

Like em all. A lot. The only configuration (that I know of) that I haven't tried is the hammered finish. Prob great knives as well but struggle to get past the fugly. And after a couple years of avoiding them there is one in the mail as I type.

I like Yoshikane.
I was looking at that amerikiri from K&S a lot... for you, do you prefer the skd or white Yoshikane overall and why?

Tough call. I generally like stainless and Yoshi does very well with SKD. And there is a little more heft to the SKD knife. Would probably choose one over the Amekiri. (But you can't get them)

I like the Kashima and Amekiri with a slight preference for the Amekiri. They're both thinner behind edge than the SKD but still do very well with food release. And the white is a pleasure to sharpen. There's a passaround of the Kashima on here somewhere with some other opinions as well.

Tough call. I generally like stainless and Yoshi does very well with SKD. And there is a little more heft to the SKD knife. Would probably choose one over the Amekiri. (But you can't get them)

I like the Kashima and Amekiri with a slight preference for the Amekiri. They're both thinner behind edge than the SKD but still do very well with food release. And the white is a pleasure to sharpen. There's a passaround of the Kashima on here somewhere with some other opinions as well.
Good to know. Thanks a bunch

I have a white #2 Youshi, #1 bang for the buck. It’s inexpensive but still my best cutter & the only knife I’ve used that out cut my Toyama.

The only problem was that it’s anti hobby, having a Yoshi makes it harder to justify more expensive knives, it handily out cut the Shig. Kasumi 3-4 times of the price.

All of this

Back