Tell me about Yoshikane knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do you compare to his brother? Yoshikane vs Masashi for both SLD and SKD(Chromax)?

I've only two data points on the Masashi, a 240 and a 150 gyuto, both SLD. I liked the 240 but profile was a little awkward. Sold it but may buy another someday. The 150 I use as a tall petty but it competes for use with a 180 Gesshin Ginga gyuto and is firmly in 2nd place. Both good cutters. Don't remember anything good or bad about sharpening them.

I really enjoy my masahi 240 in SLD. I would love to grab some more masahi knives one day but other makers have been on my radar. I haven’t had it long enough to really establish how long it holds an edge. I’ve actually been on the OOB edge since I bought it and it’s still going strong. I have been waiting for the 150 gyuto to restock at knifewear for a while. I would love one of those man. Maybe i’ll post a WTB. Would love to try a yoshi one day. Need to research them a little more before I pull the trigger. I love me some carbon.. but some days i’m just in the mood for stainless.

how do you compare to his brother? Yoshikane vs Masashi for both SLD and SKD(Chromax)?
My 2 cents here on the SLD comparison: Masashi edge(atleast on the one I owned) was so thin it sharpened about as quick as possible for SLD considering there’s so little steel to move.
Yoshikane just took a tad longer but not in a bad way, and I dunno I just liked the way it feels on stones.
I enjoyed them both for what they are.

I totally forgot about the kono YS which should actually be made by Yoshikane. That steel is amazing.
Also Konosuke now has some SKD hammered line that looks like a really thin yoshi.

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread up Again.

I Wonder if anymore have the Experience of Yoshikane between the White#2 and the SKD? How is difference in edge retention? Is the grind is the Same? Is there any difference in toughness and ease of sharpening? Both are the Nashiji version.

Thanks

SKD is definitely going to have better edge retention than White #2. Can't speak to any grind difference, if any, which may impact toughness. But probably similar.

SKD falls in the middle of simple carbon and stainless steel in sharpening, slightly leaning towards carbon. In my opinion.

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread up Again.

I Wonder if anymore have the Experience of Yoshikane between the White#2 and the SKD? How is difference in edge retention? Is the grind is the Same? Is there any difference in toughness and ease of sharpening? Both are the Nashiji version.

Thanks
Which particular Yoshis are you looking at?

SKD (including some semi stainless knives rumored but not confirmed to be this) is possibly my favorite steel if I have to pick one on the spot without considering anything else about the knife. My one Yoshikane (210 SKD gyuto) had one of the top few best grinds I’ve ever used. Can’t speak to their white 2 but would presume it to be closer to the Mazaki/Munetoshi/Hinoura end of things, i.e. very good.

I’ve also liked every SLD knife I’ve ever tried and would like to have a go with a Yoshi SLD, although that one is in a price bracket that necessitates spacing out the purchase queue a little more. My Masashi SLD gyuto was a great knife, and I’d have loved it more and kept it longer if I hadn’t already had several even better ones (quite a bit more expensive though) and my Masashi VS1 petty is still one of my favorites, maybe even a never-sell or close to it.

As an aside this guy borrowed the gyuto about a year ago and never gave it back nor paid me for it, the butthead. I’m on a knife buying binge right now so this might be a good excuse to get one or both of these!

I like my white Amekiri a lot. The SKD variant was not offered when I bought mine, if it was I would have gone for it. Yoshi does exceptional work with SKD and SLD.

Back