Tesshu from aframes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Takeshi about possible blue steel Tesshu gyutos. He said sanmai knives are available if aframes places the order and he plans to stock damascus blue #1 next month. I'll see if I can order one in blue #2.

May as well ask about mizu-honyaki availability/pricing while at it :biggrin:

ordered some stuff from aframes this morning and stared at this knife for several hours. Thought I didnt need more iron clad carbon. Now I have to try and add it onto my order I placed already and hopefully save on shipping...

I got one of these in the mail this week and the handle is really loose. What kind of glue or something should I use to keep the tang inside? I tried bashing it in but nothing. There seems to be wood stuck to the tang so I guess I need to glue it back in with something. Profile is good, geometry is pretty good. I need/want t do some minor thinning. I wouldn't guess the knife to be incredibly hard not soft. Pretty standard really, 62ish. For the price paid, im prettu happy with this knife

Wood glue should do the job. the handle on mine is as solid as a rock. Geometry on mine is beyond paper thin at the edge and tip. I wonder if there is much variation... I'd hate to lead people to buy a knife based on something that is an outlier, but Aframes is usually pretty good on this stuff. It's White 2, so I don't know why you'd expect anything harder.

Ive used a variety of white steel gyutos with quite a bit of difference in hardness, actually. I also have my preferences. Thanks for responding guys.

Ive used a variety of white steel gyutos with quite a bit of difference in hardness, actually. I also have my preferences. Thanks for responding guys.

Any how many White 2 gyutos that you've tried are harder than 62?

Ive owned Kono white(laser), Kono fujiyama white 2, Masamoto KS, Sakai Yusuke in white, Gesshin Ittetsu, Gengetsu in white both Gesshin Ginga and Ashi line. Theres probably some more im forgetting. Im my experience it seems like theres a decent amount of variation in hardness of white steel. Im just curious if the steel in Tesshu is on the harder side or the softer side. Im certainly not disputing hrc 62 if thats the area you believe its hardened to.

I've owned most of those knives. The Tesshu I have is at least as hard as the Masamoto, Sakai Yusuke, Ashi Ginga, Gengetsu and plan Konosuke white 2. In other words, they all seem about the same, since we are cooks, and not measurement instruments. If anything, the Tesshu I own has held its edge better than most White 2 knives I've used, and I've given it a fair shake, so far. The one I have is a great knife. I hate to sound like I'm a shill for Aframes, but I wish I were: I'm just trying to pass on a good deal. There aren't any catches, as far as I can tell, other than a retailer who probably isn't making a big profit.

I used the Tesshu next to the Tanaka R2 I bought from Chubo, this week, and I do slightly like the R2 better. The R2 is also about the best knife I've ever owned, and it's twice as expensive. I wish the Tanaka gave a nice patina, but stainless is stainless.

Personally I felt like Gengetsu and Gesshin Ittetsu have better retention than the Masamoto KS. The other knives are really really similar with regard to edge retention for sure. Im willing to concede that the differences in retention with white 2 arent terribly significant, we are talking about white steel after all...But I do prefer harder over softer white 2. Tesshu sounds like a cool knife, and I really like that choil shot pic you posted earlier.

I just don't think I can tell competently made knives of the same steel from each other with similar boards. I currently have one 20x15x2.5 Michigan maple block, and one 20x15x.5 rubber block, so I think I can start telling a finer difference. Until recently, I was using two of those Michigan maple blocks (they were taking up a lot of counter space, so I gave one to a good friend), so maybe I can start telling a finer difference, but the Tesshu is great, so far. I have stropped it a couple times, but that's pretty normal for me, regardless of the knife.

Want to order the 210mm but its sold out, anyone know if they restock quickly? Never browsed aframes before

Sorry, I meant to say I wouldnt expect the knife to be all that hard NOR soft*

Back