TF or Watanabe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bare in mind that Watanabe doesn’t sell just rebadged Toyama. He also sells a bunch of other cool stuff.

Is it worth waiting a year and a half for a Togashi-tosa blue Honyaki or should I satisfy my thirst for a good Honyaki now and pick up the Ashi Hamono Honyaki 240 mm Gyuto? That is the dilemma

Just buy it. Don’t like it, someone on BST will take it off you.

Is the TF Mab a considerable step up from the nashiji line? I know they use different shirogami stock, but ultimately is it double the knife?

Is the TF Mab a considerable step up from the nashiji line? I know they use different shirogami stock, but ultimately is it double the knife?
IMO well worth the extra for an inhouse forged knife, especially with a Western handle.

IMO well worth the extra for an inhouse forged knife, especially with a Western handle.

Is there a difference in performance between the prelaminated and in-house forged steel?

If I were to order western handle, I'd get it unfinished and get the handles done here myself. The fit and finish of those are horrid.

I don't think so my T-F Nashiji is as good as W#1 gets - the rest of his line is just "chrome plated fluff". Perhaps a bit better edge retention but not worth the extra dollars in my opinion. Watanabe Pro KU Nakiri is great but his stainless clad blue#2 is nothing special.

Only for the western handle. Otherwise no.
Anything to Denka, BIG step up. Even my thinned and sharpened Mab doesn’t hold a candle to the Denka ootb.

And for me the answer to TF or Watanabe, the answer is TF, although I do love my Toyanabe loads too. TF just cuts more aggressively and swiftly, has better food release, better edge retention and sharpens up so much easier. Not banging the Wat, but Denka is just a different animal altogether.

Hi, Any idea on how reactive is TF Nashiji line is? I'm thinking about their petty? in humid weather is it gonna be problematic or once the patina is on, nothing to be worried?

The T-F Nashiji Petty is Stainless Clad and I use it as a daily driver. I have never had any issue with the W#1 core reacting badly it's in my knife block and for the past four years it's been very maintenance free.

Before you go and buy a TF.. watch this video and see how bad the low spots can be... TF is great, just like any other knife, if you put countless hours into fixing it.

For the price for a Denka, I expect Togashi like quality, fit and finish. I really think there should be a knife tuning shop - like an auto-care center, where stock knives can be tuned to become performance machines. I guess that is what JKI does

Latest posts

Back