Thanks goodness for the InstaPot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I think that appliance put so many new recipes on the internet like no other.

I’m shopping cookbooks for my stovetop unit. But I’m not having any issues adapting the recipes I’m finding for the electric units.

This weekend. I’m making Pho!

The signal to noise ratio on Instant Pot recipes isn't great, in part because of the popularity of the IP. Many people seem to treat their Instant Pot as a roided-out Crock Pot. There's a big "dump meal" subculture out there that loves to sacrifice quality for time, convenience, and expense. I guess that's cool and all, but these people shouldn't be writing recipes.

Anyway, I have an 8-quart stovetop and a 6-qt Instant Pot duo, and they mostly get used for making stock. I've found the guidelines for pressure-cooked stock in Modernist Cuisine (and the At Home version) to be very good. And speaking of pho, their pressure cooked oxtail pho broth recipe is solid.

A great take-home suggestion from the MC books is that pressure cookers are fantastic for cooking fruit and veg that will ultimately be pureed or turned into soup. It takes remarkably little moisture to pressurize a pressure cooker, so you can cook the bajabbers out of stuff in a sealed environment and not lose much flavor to the cooking medium (or to the atmosphere). And they're also fantastic for getting that braise done *like right now* if you need to (or otherwise tenderizing tough cuts like short rib, pork belly, octopus, chuck roasts, in rapid fashion). And beans. Haven't yet done risotto, but it's on my list...

I made chicken pho. Gonna chill it overnight so I can pull off the fat cap.

I made chicken pho. Gonna chill it overnight so I can pull off the fat cap.
Thats the great thing about the IP, that you can just pull the inner pot out and pop it in the fridge.
On a side note has anyone ever left stuff in the IP and totally forgot about it until way way too much time has passed?
Whats your trick to getting the smell out of the silicone seal?

There's no good way to remove smells from silicone gaskets. You just have to make your peace with it. If it really bothers you, you can buy a spare gasket and use it on non-smelly tasks (or have one for savory and one for pastry or whatever).

Its just after I made curry/lo sui/curry back to back to back then decided to make white congee .... That was the funkiest smelling congee ....but I hear you about the multi gasket option

I think that appliance put so many new recipes on the internet like no other.

I’m shopping cookbooks for my stovetop unit. But I’m not having any issues adapting the recipes I’m finding for the electric units.

This weekend. I’m making Pho!

How do you like your Fissler? My sister-in-law, recently got an Instapot—which sadly, she's never used—I'm looking at the Fagor stovetop or maybe going electric. I've never owned/used a pressure cooker, but have been considering one for the last couple of years. Curries, braises, bolognese sauce, oxtails are things I regularly cook in pots.

Have you looked at Daniel Bolud's "Braise" book? It's a good one, though I'm sure most long-simmered recipes can be adapted.

How do you like your Fissler? My sister-in-law, recently got an Instapot—which sadly, she's never used—I'm looking at the Fagor stovetop or maybe going electric. I've never owned/used a pressure cooker, but have been considering one for the last couple of years. Curries, braises, bolognese sauce, oxtails are things I regularly cook in pots.

Have you looked at Daniel Bolud's "Braise" book? It's a good one, though I'm sure most long-simmered recipes can be adapted.
I tried to find a Fagor Duo. All stores were back ordered.

I upped the budget and got the Fissler.

Full report? The pressure indicator is a bit perplexing. I get it up to pressured. (Two white lines) and to keep it there is a pain. I barely reduce the heat and it kinda creeps to low pressure (1 white line). If you look at it, it’s simply a silicone plunger that balloons with the pressure and it pushes up the blue/white indicator. I can’t imagine it being that accurate. I think I’ll get a better feel for the unit the more I use it. I’m an engineer, so I’m used to more accurate readings. I’m more comfy knowing actual PSI. Haha.

The pot is super heavy. But that’s a good thing with a PC. When I sauté, the bottom is evenly heated. It takes a bit to get that mass to heat up.

The safety features are insane. You cannot open the unit under any pressure. It locks you out. Way easy to clean. The gasket comes and goes with ease so you can wash it. It’s very thick and heavy.

I got the 8.5qt. Perfect for a lb of beans. The thing doesn’t fit in any of my cabinets. I do love the science of it all. It’s a great tool

I tried an insta pot, doesn't compare to my Hawkins pressure cooker tbh. I wish it did because of the ease of use....but now that I've "mastered" my pressure cooker I put the dank back in dankest dank I've ever dank'd.

It does take some finessing with my stove dial but when I pressure cook chicken feet for the best broth so far, 6hrs where hour number 3 and 6 I turn the stove off so it doesn't spurt at all. I mean it's no 24hr cook but chicken feet is the best. Also beans! And if you throw in a tiny pinch of backing soda while cooking legumes they cook way faster, 1hr in my pressure cooker after which I depressurize then season and reduce.

The signal to noise ratio on Instant Pot recipes isn't great, in part because of the popularity of the IP. Many people seem to treat their Instant Pot as a roided-out Crock Pot. There's a big "dump meal" subculture out there that loves to sacrifice quality for time, convenience, and expense. I guess that's cool and all, but these people shouldn't be writing recipes.

Anyway, I have an 8-quart stovetop and a 6-qt Instant Pot duo, and they mostly get used for making stock. I've found the guidelines for pressure-cooked stock in Modernist Cuisine (and the At Home version) to be very good. And speaking of pho, their pressure cooked oxtail pho broth recipe is solid.

A great take-home suggestion from the MC books is that pressure cookers are fantastic for cooking fruit and veg that will ultimately be pureed or turned into soup. It takes remarkably little moisture to pressurize a pressure cooker, so you can cook the bajabbers out of stuff in a sealed environment and not lose much flavor to the cooking medium (or to the atmosphere). And they're also fantastic for getting that braise done *like right now* if you need to (or otherwise tenderizing tough cuts like short rib, pork belly, octopus, chuck roasts, in rapid fashion). And beans. Haven't yet done risotto, but it's on my list...

+1 on the tough cuts - I make boneless short ribs in 30 mins and they are fall apart delicious and the braising liquid is so flavorful.

Back