That d*mn courier thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legit never had the slightest issue with them and am always pleased when I see it's them delivering.

I'm waiting for a package from Japan, via DHL that was supposed to arrive yesterday afternoon. Three nagura stones, two of them from Sakamoto-san (a chunk of Koma and some Mejiro), and one Shiro nagura of unknown origin with an odd, faded, circular stamp. I have no idea if it's tenjyou, mejiro, or koma, but it looks pretty interesting. Last but not least, an old barber's stone, a bright yellow Kiita that looks like it came from the Kato mine, but I'm probably just being delusional.

Anyway, we had a little bit of snow it Baltimore on Thursday night. That apparently put a monkey wrench in my package arriving on time. To top it off, DHL's tracking system isn't the greatest. I often get updates four hours after an event has taken place. The last update is from Friday at 9:53 in the morning. The package is on hold because of the weather. It was supposed to go out with the next cycle of couriers, but I guess there was never a "next" cycle".

It's an expensive package that I've been waiting two weeks for, it's really frustrating, as I have some work to do and I really wanted to add the koma to my razor honing progression, and also check out the kiita stone.

DHL allegedly delivered a kind of pricey stone to me.

except I was home and checked within minutes of getting the text and no package.

never had a package stolen and if they had waited to the next day they could have easily stolen something worth 4x as much but guess what they didnt.

Im certain they delivered to the wrong house but they definitely just said 🤷‍♂️ working with the shipper to see if I can get a claim going but that's going slow too.

why couldnt it have been the 40 dollar kanna?

wrt USPS I mean it's intentionally being sabotaged and the person who could do something about it doesnt seem too bothered.

I went to the PO today and the line was massive. doing so much business they could clearly justify another person at the till. furthermore, since a certain asshat took over the chance I can get a priority label is like 50%. we all know priority is the single most profitable part of the USPS, so why would they make it hard to mail priority?

oh right because the USPS is being sabotaged.

I had something sit in the city I live in for 5 business days without moving last week. just unacceptable. a few years ago USPS was almost always my first choice =/

Lots of bad experiences with ups and FedEx, some predictable and understandable based on the news at the time and some not. Never had a bad experience with dhl. They’re my favorite but I haven’t known anyone to use them shipping domestically within the us.

USPS has never wowed me (international shipping US>EU) but they seem to have topped themselves....

shipped on Dec 27 it took three days to reach Chicago, so far so good...since it did not move acc to 17track,net
Did they change from using dirty old planes into much greener pigeons?

CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Processed Through Regional Facility -> Your item was processed through our CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on December 31, 2021 at 1:21 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Last edited:
When it comes to feels that companies like UPS or FedEx charge for taking care of the duty fees - I once filed a complaint at UPS for them charging me around 40€ to process package with 30€ VAT. I simply told that that I do not see why I should bear additional cost because of the type of shipping the sender chose. They actually dropped the fee and I only payed the VAT. I was very surprised :D

Just wanted to provide an update on my stones from Japan. Despite all of the information saying DHL rarely delivers on Saturdays, and never on Sundays, I was pleasantly surprised when my shipment showed up yesterday afternoon! I guess they were behind due to the bad weather (snow across the mid-west and east coast), so they decided to send out the couriers on a Sunday.

you all ever notice how often the courier websites are breaking? like basic functionality; logins, tracking, delivery instructions, etc.

these companies are huge and make insane money and the primary way we interact with them now seems like they have about half as many people working on them as they ought to. I will grant that in 2022 pretty much all websites manage to suck somehow but you'd think that these places would invest in making certain things bulletproof.

since I was pointed to the site by our national postal service helpdesk in a case of a missing package I only use 17track and do not bother with any single couriers tracking requirement BS.

The fact that UPS wants you to create an account so you can see all step of the tracking is effing BS. Every other courier lets you see the full tracking without an account.

It kinda sucks but I do like that when companies ship me packages via UPS the system manages to figure out it’s me automatically and starts sending me text alerts and emails following my preferences.

I'm sure you realize shipping is affected partly because in the middle of a pandemic.

I've noticed certain items at grocery store are out like fresh cabbage.

Seeing pictures of ports full of unloaded shipping containers. Also after Christmas a back load of returned items.

One thing about US is not all those fees added to international shipping. Was spoiled back when Amazon & eBay didn't have to charge state taxes. Often free shipping with no sales tax. 😁 Those days are gone.

I had couple international orders one from Australia & other from Canada. They took longer than usual & had to pay 15$ for shipping
Minor for the hard to get Herder only found on site in Canada.

Someone mentioned mail shipped on a banana boat 😅. I'm just glad got my orders even if it took a little longer.

USPS has never wowed me (international shipping US>EU) but they seem to have topped themselves....

shipped on Dec 27 it took three days to reach Chicago, so far so good...since it did not move acc to 17track,net
Did they change from using dirty old planes into much greener pigeons?

CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Processed Through Regional Facility -> Your item was processed through our CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on December 31, 2021 at 1:21 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status Update; there is no status update....a day short of a whole month after shipping there is no progress whatsoever.. :mad:

I just had a run in with DHL who unexpectedly and un announced stoped by to deliver an LP (tracking showed it was in Germany) , the driver changed status to 'not at home' then to 'receiver requested to pick parcel up at service point, and at the service point somehow someone entered 'package refused, returned to sender'

All of that happened while I was looking at my computer trying to intervene through the helplessdesk, who basically told me they knew it was not me doing anything but not even the sender could change the outcome....took 3 weeks for the package to turn up at the sender.
It was a rare record, so I was pretty pleased when it arrived using a different courier.

A UPS guy showed up at my door last week with 5 big packages on a dolly. Good thing he waited for me to come out as I wasn’t expecting anything and when I looked closer, turned out he was at the wrong address. Not even the same street - totally and completely different address.

I wonder how often that happens and the person happily takes delivery of someone else’s packages?

A UPS guy showed up at my door last week with 5 big packages on a dolly. Good thing he waited for me to come out as I wasn’t expecting anything and when I looked closer, turned out he was at the wrong address. Not even the same street - totally and completely different address.

I wonder how often that happens and the person happily takes delivery of someone else’s packages?
A friend of mine kept coming home to furniture sitting in front of her door because the Amazon drivers kept delivering to the wrong address. I think she got two bedframes and a nightstand or something and Amazon just wouldn't take them back

My only recurring issue with USPS is that they quote you a delivery day, and then in the days leading up to it including that day they’ll move the day. Very irritating for them to be optimistic, and you build a schedule around a delivery day only for them to change it when reality hits.

I’ve had UPS literally lose an international knife goin from Switzerland to the US. Awful experience in which they ignored me and took no responsibility, including opening an investigation that never concluded.

DHL has always been good, from both the UK and Japan. My only issue is that my name apparently matches someone on a scary list somewhere, so they generally require me to send photo identification with every shipment.

My only recurring issue with USPS is that they quote you a delivery day, and then in the days leading up to it including that day they’ll move the day. Very irritating for them to be optimistic, and you build a schedule around a delivery day only for them to change it when reality hits.

Yeah, I frequently see the delivery shown for "today, 9pm" with the location still at the post office (not on the truck) until well past 10pm before they finally update the schedule to the next day. If it's not on the truck by midday it's obviously not going to arrive that day, not sure why their system can't admit defeat and update sooner rather than after they've blown the deadline.

UPS somehow lost a package from a UPS locker before it even left the local hub. Crossing my fingers it shows up misplaced there. I haven’t lost an outgoing package before, but a couple lost incoming packages says that their insurance is a scam.

A friend of mine kept coming home to furniture sitting in front of her door because the Amazon drivers kept delivering to the wrong address. I think she got two bedframes and a nightstand or something and Amazon just wouldn't take them back

We had this happen too... a case of someone on the other side of town forgetting to write "S" for "South" in front of their address. Probably typed it in wrong once and never checked again, but the incorrect address was saved in their profile. The "S" address was an apt building, so they probably just thought a neighbor was stealing from them (rather than delivered to wrong address). We always tried to return the stuff but Amazon didn't have a process for accepting returns from someone that didn't place the order lol. Unfortunately, it was also too far for us to deliver personally. None of it was valuable or things we needed so we just gave it away since Amazon didn't want it back. We kept asking delivery drivers to put a note on the package to let them know they should update the Amazon delivery address.

USPS on the move with a knife destined to the EU, 36 days and counting...I seriously think they reverted to using a stagecoach;

2023-03-08 04:15
CHICAGO, IL 60688, Potentially hazardous or otherwise unmailable item held at site -> Your item has been detained on March 8, 2023 at 4:15 am, in CHICAGO, IL 60688 due to its potential hazardous or unmailable contents. It will be held at the site awaiting additional evaluation.

2023-03-01 00:00
In Transit to Next Facility

2023-02-25 19:15
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-16 02:19
COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Departed USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-16 01:46
COPPELL TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-07 19:32
NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Departed USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-05 08:40
NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-05 04:34
DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER, Departed USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-04 20:42
DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-04 13:36

2023-02-04 07:23

2023-02-04 02:05
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Departed USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-02 05:11
CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2023-02-01 09:15
HOUSTON, TX 77032, Departed USPS Facility

2023-01-31 17:59
HOUSTON, TX 77032, Arrived at USPS Facility

2023-01-31 09:10
WEBSTER, TX 77598, USPS in possession of item

Last edited:
USPS on the move with a knife destined to the EU, 36 days and counting...I seriously thing they reverted to using a stagecoach;

2023-03-08 04:15
CHICAGO, IL 60688, Potentially hazardous or otherwise unmailable item held at site -> Your item has been detained on March 8, 2023 at 4:15 am, in CHICAGO, IL 60688 due to its potential hazardous or unmailable contents. It will be held at the site awaiting additional evaluation.
Seems more like each facility wasn't sure what to do with it (contents flagged) so they sent it elsewhere for a different group to figure it out.

could be, all I know is that the speed of processing is appalling...

the other week I had DHL refusing to ship some roasted coffee..contrary to the specific info found on the customs and brder patrol website it did not require prior notice to FDA...I chose for paying top dollar to avoid having the package fall into the hands of USPS, where it is now anyhow since I'm using Dutch post.

Last edited:
Back