The difference between the hinoura lines

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve seen stainless clad AS, KU iron clad wh2 and also the nashiji wh2 ajikataya line. As far as I can tell the ajikataya runs a little taller...
I’m curious if these lines cut about the same, similar grind, or if some of them might be thinner or lighter than others?
Has anybody tried any of these knives side by side? Not sure which one to get.
Thanks.

I really like the stainless clad AS I have, real mid weight performer. Thin behind the edge, good distal taper and a nice pointy tip. Mine has the hammered finish which has decent food release. Edge stays usable sharp forever. I've always wanted to try TF Denka aogomi but at the price and performance of this Hinoura I've never been able to bring myself to do it. HRC on this one is 64 I believe. I'll try to get some specs for you later if you're interested. I have not tried any of the other Hinoura offerings but I hear great things about the white treatment.

Chill shot: https://instagram.com/p/BbXwBapAGov/

I helped pick a ajikataya for @mooxg which I tried quick.. Very nice thin edge, sharp shinogi, so that could indeed be felt in denser stuff. Should be tweakable but don't expect a very thin tip. Just eyeing the different ones in comparison their grinds looked mostly the same.

Eyeing the different ones "live" at cleancuts store I mean. Medium weight blades generally, stiff with some weight, but far from watanabe spine.

Something I noticed many of his knives have slightly "sad" handles, might be worth knowing ahead if it bugs you. I think he forges his tangs a bit that way.

Medium weight blades generally, stiff with some weight, but far from watanabe spine.

Sound about right to me, Robin.No idea whether the tip on mine is atypical or not, shinogi is crisp but eased enough that I don't experience much resistance in dense foods except for something like cabbage or squash. Again, I'd go with robin's observations since he handled a bunch. Should point out my one is several years old from the now seemingly defunct buttermilk supply.

Also worth saying here, you can ask the guys at cleancut generally both for details and advice. And then I saw that's your planned route anyway 🤗👍

I’ve had an ajikataya gyuto. Nice and thin edge, very consistent wide angle bevel. Little to no distal taper and shoulders that become an issue in direct proportion to the height of the ingredient. Also runs a little santokuish if that’s a thing you worry about. Mine was from JWW.

I’ve had an ajikataya gyuto. Nice and thin edge, very consistent wide angle bevel. Little to no distal taper and shoulders that become an issue in direct proportion to the height of the ingredient. Also runs a little santokuish if that’s a thing you worry about. Mine was from JWW.

Good to know. Thanks. How long ago did you purchase it?

I have Hyakuren (white 2 ironclad) from KnS. Similar to ther people's experiences. It's a middlewight which is quite thin behind the edge but with a moderately thick spine. Spine and choil almost rounded (more than just eased). The shinogi is crisp and the knife does wedge a bit in taller foods. The wide bevel appears to be a very mildly conxave grind. The tang in mine is mounted quite low in the handle so that the top of the handle sits a good deal above the spine (not a problem in my use). Distal taper is more than most knives but less than some Sanjo knives.

And just like that cleancut restocked the wakui KU line(which have been kinda unavailable for sometime now). This decision isn’t getting any easier. Thanks for the help everyone.

I would probably go with the wakui. But don't know how their difference in HT compares.

And just like that cleancut restocked the wakui KU line(which have been kinda unavailable for sometime now). This decision isn’t getting any easier. Thanks for the help everyone.

Labor, I have a few of the Wakui stainless clad w#2 knives with rosewood/black paka handles from Bernal and really like them, how do these KU knives differ?
Thanks

Labor, I have a few of the Wakui stainless clad w#2 knives with rosewood/black paka handles from Bernal and really like them, how do these KU knives differ?
Thanks

If your wakui hairlines are as crazy thin as mine were then that’s the difference. Side by side the wakui KU aren’t quite as delicate yet still really thin, probably more heft above blade road. KU wakui offers more food release too. I’ve already owned plenty of KU wakuis and I like trying new stuff so I’ll likely pass on them. But they’re really great cutters.

I have a Ajikataya from cleancut, the grind is just crazy, from stiff and thick spine to extremely thin behind the edge. i really enjoy using this knife, but it is not made to cut hard veges.
Pic of the grind: https://i.imgur.com/GXBEPRU.jpg

GXBEPRUh.jpg

If your wakui hairlines are as crazy thin as mine were then that’s the difference. Side by side the wakui KU aren’t quite as delicate yet still really thin, probably more heft above blade road. KU wakui offers more food release too. I’ve already owned plenty of KU wakuis and I like trying new stuff so I’ll likely pass on them. But they’re really great cutters.

Thanks, yes, mine are the crazy thin ones, the edges are razor thin and sharp, they look delicate, cut incredibly well, and have never chipped.
What is the cladding on the KU?

Wakui makes both iron cladding and stainless clad KU knives. But the stainless clad seem to be more prevalent. I’m not entirely certain these are stainless clad-but I think they are.

Back