The Washita Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've probably had getting on for 50 old Washitas and a couple of cheap and colourful Soft Arks that might perhaps have been called 'Calico Ouachitas' back in the day. But this is my very first, boxed and labelled, 'It's-not-a-real-Washita' Washita. And even though I know they're not meant to be particularly special, and Dan's are quite clear that it's not the same rock as the old P-N stones, I'm nevertheless quite excited to try it out. Because frankly; even if it's 'just' a low SG Soft Ark - that's still a pretty excellent stone in the grand scheme of things.

They actually very rarely cuts these Washitas; they're not part of the core range, and when a handful came on their website a few months ago they didn't stay around for long. So massive thanks to @Skylar303 who was super quick off the mark when I flagged them to him, and managed to grab one for each of us, to include with some stuff we were swapping.

The second pic shows the surface next to a NOS Lily White on the left, and even though both have that kind of chalky/pumice new stone finish to them you can quite clearly see the Dan's stone has a notably coarser, looser structure to it than the Norton. Will report back later how it compares...

View attachment 203927

View attachment 203928
Here are some pics of my Dan's soft Arkansas. I don't know if it's the same batch but looks very similar. I am a little ashamed to say I have I hardly used it. Got it for a song on eBay a few months ago but have been swamped with work.

PXL_20221020_141222658.MP.jpg
PXL_20221020_141231466.jpg
PXL_20221020_141238405.MP.jpg

PXL_20221020_142016617.jpg

A Dan's soft. I don't think I have checked the SPG but it for sure runs towards the fine and hard side. It is part of a set of replacement stones arks for the Norton tri hones, so 2 1/2" x 11 1/2" x 1/2". Probably why I haven't checked the SPG, I might not have a container big enough.

I was using it here on a garage sale special that looked like it hadn't ever been sharpened as the coarse stone because I do stupid stuff in the name of practice.

Someone should jump on this. The Soft Ark / India combo are pretty rare. This is a great price. I already have one or else I would have already pulled the trigger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4039561006...uid=VuwApSeIS82&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
A great price if you live in the right country! The shipping to Germany would have been a bit more expensive than the stone itself, plus customs and import duties.

Unfortunately, this makes many very interesting stones on ebay from the USA just too expensive for my taste!

A great price if you live in the right country! The shipping to Germany would have been a bit more expensive than the stone itself, plus customs and import duties.

Unfortunately, this makes many very interesting stones on ebay from the USA just too expensive for my taste!
I feel the same way about UK eBay from stateside.

Well depending on who you buy from, state-to-state can be insane. I recently saw MTC had the King NEO on clearance for $26 but they want $18 for shipping!

:rolleyes:

Sorry, I know that's not Washita related but I'm still not over it. ;)
Oh man, please don't talk about MTC and the clearence offers, MTC isn't shipping internationally at the moment, there's talk of a pause....but I don't even want to know what shipping costs MTC charges for shipping to Germany ...for 1 stone....

Oh man, please don't talk about MTC and the clearence offers, MTC isn't shipping internationally at the moment, there's talk of a pause....but I don't even want to know what shipping costs MTC charges for shipping to Germany ...for 1 stone....

I've never bought from them. Is that a common tactic for them?

They owe you commission. Sold out.

Nice score B!

---

I wonder if anyone knows whether these are still in production?

Some Norton price lists suggests they are, but no one seems to ever have them in stock. Perhaps a casualty of the gradually dwindling of their Ark range...

So then... Dan's Washita vs Old Washitas.

IMG-2163.jpg

Note first that this is the Dan's Washita, not the Soft Arkansas. It's not part of their core range and is only offered occasionally. The SGs of the stones above is: Dan's - 2.02, Middle Washita - 2.12, bottom Washita - 2.38. I've intentionally selected Washitas with SGs at the low and high end of the range to compare.

Rather predictably the Dan's stone isn’t actually that bright white colour, though I wasn't expecting this tbh; the picture below shows it with a smear of oil, but before being used, there's no swarf here just that the stone is grey and mottled.

IMG-2165.JPG

The OTB surface finish of the Dan's stone is incredibly rough, the stone is quick though it finishes very low indeed - 600 ish at a guess. Despite that it's still no faster than the two Washitas, perhaps even a little slower, though both of those stones are at the very quick end of the spectrum. They obviously finish much higher as well.

IMG-2168.jpg

I then lapped the surface of the Dan's a bit with a 400 Atoma, which completely changed it. Now the stone is fairly slow, much finer finishing, and the surface burnishes quite easily. Because despite the low SG it's not as friable as some some of the colourful Calico type Arks.

The Dan's Washita is most certainly an interesting thing to have, and I'll definitely use it - indeed it set the bevel on a razor very well a couple of days ago. But I can see why it's perhaps not a stone that they stake their reputation on. The Soft Arkansas stone that @rocketman cut himself and sent me for instance is objectively quite a lot better material.

Last edited:
Man I’m envious of you guys finding the soft washitas. I picked these two up for pretty cheap hoping at least one would be the soft type. I still need to finish lapping but I’d say the are more in the middle range. The lighter one has some noticeable orange streaks which I thought was characteristic of the soft stones

Attachments

• 89969673-ED33-4255-9E6B-58CCD66ADB31.jpeg
    89969673-ED33-4255-9E6B-58CCD66ADB31.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 49B1EB91-046A-4462-BF38-8525AF6EFE79.jpeg
    49B1EB91-046A-4462-BF38-8525AF6EFE79.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E2D5FCD-3761-4125-A024-202C1C56E2FF.jpeg
    3E2D5FCD-3761-4125-A024-202C1C56E2FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 5B425F31-E344-439E-B8FA-5E5D59BEEC56.jpeg
    5B425F31-E344-439E-B8FA-5E5D59BEEC56.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3B40BFA2-08EB-4D6C-A865-A7FCEEFCA1DB.jpeg
    3B40BFA2-08EB-4D6C-A865-A7FCEEFCA1DB.jpeg
Man I’m envious of you guys finding the soft washitas. I picked these two up for pretty cheap hoping at least one would be the soft type. I still need to finish lapping but I’d say the are more in the middle range. The lighter one has some noticeable orange streaks which I thought was characteristic of the soft stones

So my take is this...

Washitas (the old P-N type, which both of yours are by the look of it) aren't ever particularly soft, and that's precisely what gives them the big range. Washitas cut quickly not because of how soft or friable they are, but because of the surface 'pore' structure which makes them very aggressive when used with pressure. But because they're also quite hard - when used with very light pressure they can act much more like a hard Ark.

A soft Washita is basically like a soft 'Soft Arkansas' stone. A hard but highly porous Washita is something very special.

Last edited:

(Those both look like absolutely lovely stones btw. Nice score!)

So my take is this...

Washitas (the old P-N type, which both of yours are by the look of it) aren't ever particularly soft, and that's precisely what gives them the big range. Washitas cut quickly not because of how soft or friable they are, but because of the surface 'pore' structure which makes them very aggressive when used with pressure. But because they're also quite hard - when used with very light pressure they can act much more like a hard Ark.

A soft Washita is basically like a soft 'Soft Arkansas' stone. A hard but highly porous Washita is something very special.

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess because I have never had a labeled soft stone I just didn’t understand. Here’s one I picked up that is hard but still cuts. I’ve been using it at my bench for the last few weeks and I’m liking it the more I use it. It was glazed when I got it but after a quick refresh seems to cut somewhat nicely. It has some translucency yet shows pores.

Attachments

• DABA3C6C-8A11-4C16-BAF6-CAB5B36B56A0.jpeg
    DABA3C6C-8A11-4C16-BAF6-CAB5B36B56A0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • FBFDCDCC-76EE-496C-A91F-E3857F4BAC0A.jpeg
    FBFDCDCC-76EE-496C-A91F-E3857F4BAC0A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • F25E9436-CEC5-4C3C-AEB8-84C7B19C7E29.jpeg
    F25E9436-CEC5-4C3C-AEB8-84C7B19C7E29.jpeg
  • CD49EC46-81B9-416E-AA3F-FBEF217FE355.jpeg
    CD49EC46-81B9-416E-AA3F-FBEF217FE355.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 35E5C01F-6DB7-4663-85AC-8F876674CDDB.jpeg
    35E5C01F-6DB7-4663-85AC-8F876674CDDB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for sharing this info. I guess because I have never had a labeled soft stone I just didn’t understand. Here’s one I picked up that is hard but still cuts. I’ve been using it at my bench for the last few weeks and I’m liking it the more I use it. It was glazed when I got it but after a quick refresh seems to cut somewhat nicely. It has some translucency yet shows pores.

Yeah it can be a little confusing when people talk about softer and harder Washitas, and there is certainly some variation but it's quite small. In the grand scheme of things compared to a lot of other natural stones - they're all quite hard. In general the lighter / less dense stones will be faster cutting, though there are exceptions, and also tbh: all old Washitas are pretty good. I've maybe had nearing 50 now, and they only vary between very good to excellent.

Your one in the wood box there looks toward the finer end of the spectrum, is it...? (Nice collection!)

Yeah it can be a little confusing when people talk about softer and harder Washitas, and there is certainly some variation but it's quite small. In the grand scheme of things compared to a lot of other natural stones - they're all quite hard. In general the lighter / less dense stones will be faster cutting, though there are exceptions, and also tbh: all old Washitas are pretty good. I've maybe had nearing 50 now, and they only vary between very good to excellent.
Your one in the wood box there looks toward the finer end of the spectrum, is it...? (Nice collection!
Thanks! It’s interesting trying to figure out these stones.

The boxed stone is on the finer end it seems. Although It will produce a burr on a plane iron or chisel pretty quickly. This maybe be due to the recent coarse lap or maybe it just has some range. I guess I’ll find out more when it settles into in a bit. I measured the SG at 2.37.

The one with the orange streaks is 2.23. Maybe this one will turn out faster than I initially thought.

The older looking sandy mottled stone was 2.37. Even though the SG matches with the boxed stone, it’s been quite a bit harder to lap flat. There’s also a bit of variation between the large faces of this one.

Last edited:
Wow! Thats my holy grail stone. I wonder how much of that color is old oil, are you going to clean it?

I'm guessing like the Lilly White the Rosy Red was perfect on both sides and those with slight flaws got downgraded with the number ones or twos?

I have been going to flea markets and antique shows for years and have found one badly worn washita and a broken half in the wild.

Wow! Thats my holy grail stone. I wonder how much of that color is old oil, are you going to clean it?

I'm guessing like the Lilly White the Rosy Red was perfect on both sides and those with slight flaws got downgraded with the number ones or twos?

I have been going to flea markets and antique shows for years and have found one badly worn washita and a broken half in the wild.
I have only found one washita in the wild. At a flea market in Las Vegas of all places several years ago before I knew what a washita was. That's the one I have kept too actually. I have gifted, sold, or traded most of the others I have come across.

Back