• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Thinning Stone!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome man! Just curious, is that vitrified diamond the JKI 300a? I've heard those are monsters for any thinning job, doesn't matter what steel they'll eat it haha.

I've had the JKI 320 on my list for a while, I'm a big Splash and Go fan for quickness and simplicity. That said, for all the people saying that the G400 dishes too fast, what do you use yours for then if not thinning? Really just edge maintenance if a knife is super dull? Just picking brains on this one :)

Have G400, use for setting a new edge and polishing really. Gives a semi kasumi

No longer use for thinning itself

Good breakdown of those stones Forty, thanks man! Understand on that. I can see how 320 would be easier and less hassle as well given its splash and go. That's part of why I have a set of Shaptons around still because splash and go quickness. That said I don't see myself using this stone that often where I feel like my thinning stone has to be splash and go too if there is a better option.

Thanks for info on how you use your 400, appreciate it!

I've been using a 320 Shapton Glass. That feels slow for real thinning, so I got a Nubatama 220 Platinum. While still not as fast as I would like, it is quite a bit faster than the Shapton and still leaves a pretty clean scratch pattern. It's not too hard to polish it out. It's perfect for thinning behind the edge and resetting bevels. I'm coming to the conclusion that either I need more patience or just to send things out that need more than minor work behind the edge. For knives, especially mono-steel that needed pretty significant thinning, I gave up and went down to a 140 grit diamond plate before the Nubatama, which took out those scratches quite well.

Thanks for the updates all on that's, greatly appreciate it. Been good seeing all the different suggestions, am going to take advantage of the MTC sale and grab a few things to try out :)

Back