Thoughts on Kawachi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no specifics on Kawachi, but I know that there were other students at Shiraki as Ms. Mori (who did the Kono MM) trained there.
I can confirm the similarities between the two knives, especially regarding the grind: in both cases, the micro bevel doesn't even need to be sharpened to cut effortlessly. The major difference lies in the profile. While the Kono MM is characterized by a straighter profile, perfect for slicing, the Kawachi is more versatile and allows for easier variation in cutting techniques thanks to its very precise tip and a 57mm heel reminiscent of a nakiri!

To me, they both have thin slightly convex grinds just enough to provide good food seperation. Very similar performance when I compared them. I have a 210 Kawachi (JNS first batch) and the White #2 Fuji is 240 so the profiles are different. Interestingly, the Kawachi has a faux shinogi reminiscent of a Masakage Kujira.
Indeed, the profiles are very different! It's even more evident when comparing a Konosuke FM Blue 240 to the Kawachi 240... Unlike the blades from Sakai, those from Sanjo tend to be oversized.

Attachments

• IMG_9576.JPG
    IMG_9576.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9577.JPG
    IMG_9577.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9578.jpg
    IMG_9578.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back