Thoughts On Pull Through Sharpeners?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you "thin" / what does it mean, I'm guessing it's something to do with getting to the Apex (if that's the right word? ) / shoulder of the blade??
Roughly and generally speaking for common knives, turn the black factory grind into the wine-color profile by grinding just above the shoulder of the edge bevel. This drawing is only the edge, not the entire blade height.

INdBdy3.png

I once used one back in the late 1960's until my Outfitter paternal grandfather caught me. This look stopped me from ever using one again. Grandpa Johnny could be really scary at times.

Henry-Fonda-as-Frank-in-Once-Upon-a-Time-in-the-West-1968-01.jpg

An off subject fact. Henry Fonda considered his role as "Frank" in Once Upon a Time in The West his greatest acting.

Last edited:
If I'm thinning a knife ... lets say I'm using a 20 degree edge on the secondary edge ... I'm guessing the primary should be less than that i.e. 18 degrees or something as long as it's less than the secondary, is that correct?

If I'm thinning a knife ... lets say I'm using a 20 degree edge on the secondary edge ... I'm guessing the primary should be less than that i.e. 18 degrees or something as long as it's less than the secondary, is that correct?

For most Japanese knives, 20 degrees is pretty obtuse but that's another matter. For thinning, you'd drop down much lower, probably single digits.

Back