Thoughts On Saute Pans?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm gonna go home and toast some leftover baquette and crack open a can of sardines.

Me too I see sardines. Lots of sardines. Do you have a special dish? Recipe would be good.

Last edited:
Sauté with short handles? 🤷‍♂️

For me, when I think rondeau i think of a large width Double handled sauté pan. And if we’re talking French equipment, the thicker the side walls the better…

And glad to see someone else saying Falk is their favorite brand. I love mine too.

To me these are absolutely essential. The ones you guys are listing, large, straight sides, with lid, I have a 13 inch All clad copper chef (I believe this line has been discontinued, but they still have copper core), it is one of my most used pans, but I rarely just saute in it. I use it for brown-on-the-range and then throw a lid on it and stick it in the oven to braise (after de-glazing with whatever in enough quantities to braise), it is my go-to for bolognese sauce, jambalaya, lemony one-pot orichetti, coq au vin, and many other recipes. It is excellent for pan frying too, although I typically use my cast iron for that instead. If I could only have one, I'd give up the cast iron, the all clad is so much more versatile. I also have a 10 inch in the same format, but I mostly use it as a short sauce pan, not a pan I use too frequently, but it is nice to have. For instance I'll sear steaks in there, transfer them to a sizzler platter and into the oven, then deglaze that 10" pan and continue to work a sauce in there. It is also a great pot to make mac & cheese in, I make the bechamel in there, after I stir in the cheese, then the cavatappi, add a little more cheese on top, and then the whole thing can go into the oven.

For actually sauteing, I prefer pans with flared sides, easier to flip the food around, but these I also deem essential. Here are my two, also copper chef/Allclad:
View attachment 143740View attachment 143742

the straight siders, which I use more as sauce pans, braziers, or dutch ovens:
View attachment 143743View attachment 143744
I never think those all clad sauté pans are deep enough to get the full benefit of the shape. I bet a demeyere or fissler holds 40pc more liquid at a given diameter. I really believe the all clad geometry is why many Americans don’t love sauté pans, at that depth they have only marginal benefits over a skillet

This demeyere is 24cm it holds 4.2 liters. All clad 10” holds 3quarts I think.

Geometry is destiny!
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...MI_4LEpPmY8wIVzJ-zCh1L1wD2EAQYASABEgJYVvD_BwE

Last edited:
I never think those all clad sauté pans are deep enough to get the full benefit of the shape. I bet a demeyere or fissler holds 40pc more liquid at a given diameter. I really believe the all clad geometry is why many Americans don’t love sauté pans, at that depth they have only marginal benefits over a skillet

Geometry is destiny!
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...MI_4LEpPmY8wIVzJ-zCh1L1wD2EAQYASABEgJYVvD_BwE

It does hold another quart, but all I'm saying is get you one of these and never look back................

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...Z77IkC7vD6lGyr9jBaChsAzn2JbPbeQxoChxkQAvD_BwE

Geometry is destiny!

The reason I did not try to buy a Demeyere Atlantis is they advertise it as holding heat. I want a pan that is more reactive on my Viking gas range. I have a lot of Le Creuset pans and pots which I bought back when I was on an electric range. They hold heat which really, I already own enough of that kind of pan with my Le Creuset's. I have decided I want a reactive pan now and I am not going to buy any pans that hold heat. It seems like to me a copper pan should be reactive. I tried the All-Clad copper core here on this forum and it seemed to work well for me so I bought more of them. I am happy with the All-Clad copper core pans.

It does hold another quart, but all I'm saying is get you one of these and never look back................

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/pro...Z77IkC7vD6lGyr9jBaChsAzn2JbPbeQxoChxkQAvD_BwE

I like Le Creuset and they’re undeniably attractive things for presenting to table in, but they’re not the most versatile or useful pans imo. I’ve strimmed my collection down to a few of the larger casseroles (24, 28, 32 iirc) and I can’t see me bothering with more, despite a massive inherited collection from the olds. They retain too much heat, are too prone to hot spots or unequal heating at low temps, to be really responsive on the stove top. Perfectly manageable, but I’ll almost invariably reach for heavier based pans like the Wolls mentioned above unless huger quantities are required. Better at both extremes of temperatures (no diffuser ever needed here), better heat distribution, easier to clean.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Le Creuset ECI, but I find it hard to give them anything other than a qualified hefty thumbs up. Cheaper, more consistent and versatile options are generally available, even if they aren’t as reassuringly familiar and don’t carry the same cachet.

I like Le Creuset and they’re undeniably attractive things for presenting to table in, but they’re not the most versatile or useful pans imo. I’ve strimmed my collection down to a few of the larger casseroles (24, 28, 32 iirc) and I can’t see me bothering with more, despite a massive inherited collection from the olds. They retain too much heat, are too prone to hot spots or unequal heating at low temps, to be really responsive on the stove top. Perfectly manageable, but I’ll almost invariably reach for heavier based pans like the Wolls mentioned above unless huger quantities are required. Better at both extremes of temperatures (no diffuser ever needed here), better heat distribution, easier to clean.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Le Creuset ECI, but I find it hard to give them anything other than a qualified hefty thumbs up. Cheaper, more consistent and versatile options are generally available, even if they aren’t as reassuringly familiar and don’t carry the same cachet.

Yeah, I mean you definitely can’t compare a 7.5 quart Le Creuset to a Falk copper pan. But I cook all of my soups, curries, and braises in my LC. It’s a one pot wonder, and I find that it heats relatively evenly. It also fries food well.

Latest posts

Back