Three stone solution (well, maybe four...)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jamiewakeham I’m assuming you’re based around London - I have a Shapton Pro 5k you’re welcome to borrow and see how you get on with a higher grit stone.

Shoot me a dm if you’re interested!

@jamiewakeham I’m assuming you’re based around London - I have a Shapton Pro 5k you’re welcome to borrow and see how you get on with a higher grit stone.
Thank you - that's a very kind offer! I'm in Oxford, though, so not quite that convenient, and probably not worth the fuss of posting it both ways.

I have just scooped a BBW for pocket change on eBay, so I'm going to have a play with that.

And I've asked family for a SG320 and a Cerax 3000 for my birthday in a few days. I think this will keep me busy for a little while. I'll keep the idea of an Atoma 140 in my head; that does sound like a sensible multi use addition for a later date.

Very grateful to all for their input here.

I don't have a ton of experience in all the stone varieties, but my stone line up is a three stone run. Shapton Kuromaku 320 / 1000 / 5000.

Does everything I need it to do. I have a king 800 that I sometimes swap in for the 1000. Occasionally I find a knife that doesnt have good feel on the shapton 1k, so I swap em . 95 percent is done on the 1k though.

OK, so here's a very newbie question. My BBW has just arrived. One side is flat, but has an obvious degree of friction. The other side is polished to a fine sheen. I assume the polished side is the one that's been in use and I should continue to use that side..?

(it's not a coticule/BB combo)

OK, so here's a very newbie question. My BBW has just arrived. One side is flat, but has an obvious degree of friction. The other side is polished to a fine sheen. I assume the polished side is the one that's been in use and I should continue to use that side..?

(it's not a coticule/BB combo)
Try both sides. Smooth side is likely to be finer as it is polished/glazed from use probably.

It's possible the rougher side has just been flattened with a coarse stone or plate. This makes it feel rougher but with a little bit of use it will likely feel smooth like the other side again.

Back