Tojiro DP in need of sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 1200 for undoing the non-thinning that using a minosharp-like device on a knife it is not designed for will create after 1.5 years?

Warning: Thinning is likely to mess up the blade finish, and restoring it is hard to do with stones alone (unless you want to go all beta-togi on this one - would not recommend it...). Sandpaper and patience necessary.

Good point. It'll probably take a long time to thin on a 1200.

abepaniagua, maybe you could post a picture of the choil.

Never had a problem going 1k straight to 5k on tojiro or any other vg10..what seemed to be the problem?
May be a skill problem, as Im new to this, and I've only sharpened 4 Tojiros.

But I felt the cut paper (I test the entire blade heel to tip then tip to heel) it felt "smoother" half way into the cut when I did 1-3-6 vs 1-6. Again I am a noob at this still so I will take any good advices

My guess would be a lack of pressure control. On the 1k (and all stones) you should use progressively less pressure as you sharpen...in other words you probably don't need to spend more time on each stone but start with light pressure and use less and less pressure with that stone before moving to the next. Off a 1k when finished your paper test cut should be pretty smooth. Then do the same with your 6k...I agree there should be no need for anything in between those stones, vg10 or whatever...that said, it's much easier to develop your touch (and sharpen in general) with a simple carbon steel blade.

Back