Took a chance on a jnat. Now I have to wait and see what I bought.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmRoyale

Reaction score
Anyone want to take a guess what I have here? My gut tells me it's probably a Mikawa nagura but it could be anything. I hope it turns out to be a good stone.
bcff77.jpg
bcff78.jpg
bcff7d.jpg
bcff7b.jpg
bcff7c.jpg
bcff7f.jpg
bcff80.jpg

Well, here's the stone all cleaned up and for the first time I'm at a loss. It's either the nicest synthetic or the most perfect Mikawa nagura I've ever used. It finishes like a natural with a clear definition between the hagane and jigane but it sharpens and feels like a synthetic. Either way it's a wonderful stone.

Edit: Chopped of a bit from one corner. It's definitely a synthetic. It feels super nice though and produces a wonderful edge.

FTnnGHg.jpg

Looked at the description again. Here's what it says: "Natural Whetstone Nakashi finishing details unknown plane cut kitchen knife about 1604g." Can a natural be this perfect?

That's probably a synthetic with maybe natural stone grit. Natural stones -- none that I've ever seen were this perfect: no speckles, swirls, skins, nothing. And this has dark swarf while the natural should have mud.

Anyway, neglected synthetic stones are really nice -- as they bake in the sun and stuff they get easier to sharpen on somehow, though they risk cracking and stuff.

Even tsushima-which are supposed to be super duper consistent, have shiny speckles.

as they bake in the sun and stuff they get easier to sharpen on somehow, though they risk cracking and stuff.
This one is super easy. I've started to seal it with varnish to protect it and this way it also won't be so thirsty.

Also by dark swarf I mean the swarf looks like synthetic swarf. Natural stone swarf that black is much finer and inky-- just like ink. Natural stones also are rarely that white, nor do they load that way. When they load they kinda burnish themselves and get shiny or glossy.

I use spray varnish. The standard stuff you can get at the local paint shop.

Edit: Been playing with and here's how I would describe the stone. Think of the Shapton Glass 3000, how fast and consistent it is and how it'll chew through any steel you put on it. Now make it soft and smooth like a Rika and you have this stone.

Last edited:
Back