Torn between two Yoshikazus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at some reasonably priced gyutos. Performance, rather than F&F is the priority. I'm torn between Y. Tanaka (Hado-sumi) and Y. Ikeda (Sakai Hokushin). My head says Tanaka, but my heart is pulling towards Ikeda. Any thoughts (on the knives, not my indecisiveness)?

Looking at some reasonably priced gyutos. Performance, rather than F&F is the priority. I'm torn between Y. Tanaka (Hado-sumi) and Y. Ikeda (Sakai Hokushin). My head says Tanaka, but my heart is pulling towards Ikeda. Any thoughts (on the knives, not my indecisiveness)?

Are you just looking for the best performing gyuto? What about edge retention?

i do have a 240 damascus white 1 by Y. tanaka BNIB still with the lacquer on. talk to me if you are interested. i have the hado Junpaku as well . so this is redundant.

Both are going to have top notch heat treatments which is really the only thing you need from the smith....the rest is down to the sharpener/the specific profile and fit and finish requested by the wholesaler...Can't go wrong with either though.

Now you're just messin' with me.
Sorry, to get back on track. this is a legit store and similar specification as compared to the Hado Sumi and the hokushin. also the sharpener is the highly regarded myojin

Now you're just messin' with me.

I know you said edge retention isn’t a high priority, but be aware Tanaka’s white 2 is pretty poor in that regard.

If you’re ok with that, then Myojin is indeed a terrific sharpener and that’s a great price for a Tanaka x Myojin combo. But there’s no free lunch and there’s a reason Tanaka White 2 is inexpensive vs his other steels. If you’re on a tight budget (for a Tanaka) and ok with stropping after each use then it would be a fun knife. Although to be honest for similar money, personally I’d just get a Myojin in R2.

Hado/OUL has a great reputation; either that or Tanaka x Kyuzo would probably be my pick if I was shopping for a Tanaka.

I don’t think Tanaka wh2 is out of character compared to other wh2 blades.
It is a far cry from AS and blue1 or skd etc which I’d prefer but I thought it performed pretty typical for the steel.

I don’t think Tanaka wh2 is out of character compared to other wh2 blades.
It is a far cry from AS and blue1 or skd etc which I’d prefer but I thought it performed pretty typical for the steel.

Maybe my example was an oddity - I had the Miura Itadaki. After a single prep I noticed it could no longer slice paper cleanly. By contrast my Wakui in white 2 stays sharp for a surprisingly long time, pretty similar to my experience with AS actually.

Those are the only two experiences I have with white 2 so I’m not sure which is more representative.

Maybe my example was an oddity - I had the Miura Itadaki. After a single prep I noticed it could no longer slice paper cleanly. By contrast my Wakui in white 2 stays sharp for a surprisingly long time, pretty similar to my experience with AS actually.

Those are the only two experiences I have with white 2 so I’m not sure which is more representative.
How many times have you sharpen the Miura Itadaki? I haven’t tried Y. Tanaka’s white 2, but have 2 white 1. One of the Sujihiki came very dull, can’t even slicing the paper, but after I sharpen it, it becomes screaming sharp and holds the edge for very long, longer than my R2 Shibata Sujihiki.

Last edited:

I can believe that. I’d say my wh2 Takada no Hamono about half the retention of my skd and ginsan blades that I used side by side recently.

Now I want a wakui haha

How many times have you sharpen the Miura Itadaki? I haven’t tried Y. Tanaka’s white 2, but have 2 white 1. One of the Sujihiki came very dull, can’t even slicing the paper, but after I sharpen it, it becomes screaming sharp and holds the edge for very long, longer than my R2 Shibata Sujihiki.
I think the white 1 and white 2 behave surprisingly different (I've had both). I think I had a similar experience to Delat. The White 1 and blue 1 are very nice though

I can believe that. I’d say my wh2 Takada no Hamono about half the retention of my skd and ginsan blades that I used side by side recently.

Now I want a wakui haha

I picked up my wakui white 2 nakiri just because I wanted a cheap nakiri to see if I like nakiris, with the intention of selling it and getting something nicer if I did. Surprise, surprise, I love the darn little thing and so far it’s a keeper. Crazy tough too; my wife chopped straight through a mangosteen (seeds and all) with it, with zero damage.

Prices have shot up since, but I think I got mine for <$200 and it was definitely a steal.

I picked up my wakui white 2 nakiri just because I wanted a cheap nakiri to see if I like nakiris, with the intention of selling it and getting something nicer if I did. Surprise, surprise, I love the darn little thing and so far it’s a keeper. Crazy tough too; my wife chopped straight through a mangosteen (seeds and all) with it, with zero damage.

Prices have shot up since, but I think I got mine for <$200 and it was definitely a steal.
For sure. I’ve owned several Wakuis but it’s been several years. Always enjoyed them. Nakiri seems to be sold out everywhere otherwise I’d pick one up.

Latest posts

Back