Traditional sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreezzzzz

Reaction score
Can someone explain what the benefits are of traditional sharpening? By traditional sharpening I mean the stone slightly lifted on one side. Like Jon shows us in his sharpening video's.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

you mean the angle i hold the stone at? For me, other than the fact that its the way i learned in japan, it offers better water control (i put water at the high part and it goes down from there) and better ergonomics (as you move your hands away from your body, your wrists tend to tilt up a bit more when the stone is flat and less so when the stone is angled down). The angle is not relevant to the angle at which i sharpen though (within reason... i cant angle a stone at 90 degrees and hope to do the same thing)

I do play with the angle of the stones.. at times as it does have a different efect.. so I imagine.

Angled away from body
a) for some slurry management as it flows downwards as too much water does leave shines spots

b)as it is tilted away, there is a bigger propensity to finish off at a higher angle as it is a natural tendency for the angle to be higher the further the hand is away from you ( I imagine so) adn thus you may have to compensate more.

c) I also imagine that the pressure on the stone that is nearer to your body wld be more naturally unless you compensate for this. But I find that I have tio step slightly backwards from the stone and thus, there are times I prefer to angle it the other way.....

Angled towards your body.

a) There shld me more pressure applied at the top of the stone or easier for me to shave more steel when desired as the further away from you, the lighter the pressure. THis shld compensate for this

The finishing motion shld terminate at a lower angle as it naturally compensates the uplift tilting of the hand when it is pushed away

Generally, it shld have the opposite effect of tilting the stone away from you. It's just a method of adjusting the stone versus adjusting/compensating the angle with your hands.

Finally for cutting strokes ( edge leading) which I do find useful for finishing, I do find that putting the stone at an angle ( 45 to 60 degrees) but flat ( horizontal) to the body useful.

That's that I think anyway...

rgds
d

I use this mainly

So ergonomics and water flow. Good to know. Will definitely try this. Thanks

Back