• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Troll killer 180mm nakiri / nata

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
$50 shipped

498g
60mm tall
183mm edge length
9.5mm at handle, 7.5mm spine at choil area, to 4.5 near tip

I need to clean up the rust more and even the bevel. I've sharpened it and it's nata hardness, not normal kitchen knife hardness, so hm, closer to kogetsu sk in feel but nice refine-ability and readily pulls on hair after a 400 grit and deburring. Grind is very slight righty, but really close to even, and is done quite well too, surprisingly it is thin behind the edge. Too thin there to function well as a nata, and the knife is too heavy duty to be a normal nakiri. Very cool knife. Intense delamination near the heel that I don't know how affects the rest of the knife. I do know some of the best knives HT wise in sharpenability and edge taking and feel often have delamination visibly present, so it's usually a good sign for me at least.

I plan to sharpen enough wide bevel to see the lamination line before shipping. When I got it the handle was wrapped with very old yarn that was musty and took off. Choil shot reminds me of a thin yo deba or even maybe a little Kato. Again, the grind is exceptionally thin behind the edge for a knife this thick, and thin behind the edge in general (but not ridiculously thin like newer yoshikane). What I mean is near the edge the grind is pretty flat and thin, the convexing is about 1-2cm up, as opposed to right behind the edge. So, good grind. Will cut more stuff before I say how it's like there further. Knife is pretty straight, and didn't look sharpened when I got it.

@Hassanbensober I know you like this stuff, and the bias is fairly neutral when I checked with fingers and visually and in use.

Will post new pics after cleaning it up

PXL_20220805_164431212.jpg
PXL_20220805_164435095.jpg
PXL_20220805_164440058.jpg
PXL_20220805_164447318.jpg
PXL_20220805_164501106.jpg

Last edited:
Besides defending against the orc horde, what purpose does this serve for normal kitchen use?

Just a thicker knife with food release and the power to hack into things... Kinda like how people like workhorse gyuto for the weight. Just more extreme I guess. Cause it is way too thin behind the edge for wood stuff, I tentatively tried that already.

For example compared to a cck bone cleaver, this nakiri is much much thinner behind the edge with almost no microbevel

Just a thicker knife with food release and the power to hack into things... Kinda like how people like workhorse gyuto for the weight. Just more extreme I guess. Cause it is way too thin behind the edge for wood stuff, I tentatively tried that already.

For example compared to a cck bone cleaver, this nakiri is much much thinner behind the edge with almost no microbevel
Thanks. I'm just trying to come up with a good excuse.

Back