• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Tsuchime santoku/bunka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a hammered santoku, bunka or hakata, preferably 165-175mm cutting edge. I'm thinking along the lines of Hinoura, Matsubara, Anryu, Yoshikane... Other makers with great food release certainly considered. Wa handle strongly preferred, as is stainless cladding or semi stainless steel. Might consider a 180mm or full reactive if the price is right. Thanks

Last edited:
If you’re not averse to buying new, I somewhat recently picked up the Nihei Bunka from carbon. I really like it. Not hammered, but has a cool finish, I guess it’s a polished forge finish? I think he may have worked at Yoshikane, and he’s doing some stuff with Konosuke. Semi stainless resists rusting well in my exp, and holds edge pretty long.

I have a Yoshikane santoku, 180mm long, 50mm tall. SKD stain resistant jigane with stainlessless cladding. Tsuchime finish. I thinned it and put a convex profile on it. Here is a gallery:

Gallery

PM me if you’re interested.

Yeah that Nihei looks nice, and I do like SLD... Thanks for the suggestion. I can purchase new some of the other makers I listed for substantially less money, tho. Was hoping to re-home somebody's bench warmer for less skrilla tho.

I have a Yoshimune 165-ish santoku (honestly it could be a bunka, it’s pointy) in stainless clad W#1, great looking and great grind, with a D handle (chestnut/resin?), almost NIB, used only for a few cuts. Was going to give it as a gift but decided to go with a stainless gyuto. $100 shipped CONUS.

Back