Tsunehisa brand opinions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I see on District Cutlery, "Tsunehisa" might be a rebranding of a whole bunch of unrelated knives.

Last edited:
For blades in this price-point, I'm not worried so much about provenience, I'm just looking for something that will be better than the Tojiro - it's either fine or rusting and I'm just getting tired of it.

So really I should have asked this in the original post - are these any better than a Masakage Yuki? The Yuki is what I was tending to as my first choice

I'm trying to be at around $200 CDN - that one you listed at is showing $185USD, which today would cost me $257CDN.
That is weird; for me it shows USD 138...?

That is weird; for me it shows USD 138...?

Snapshot of what I'm seeing - and that little window about duty/tax means I'd been paying ~$320CDN for that knife.
Capture.JPG

And this is why shopping for knives in Canada sucks.

Last two new knives from US
- $284 USD became $456 CDN.
- $510 USD became $820 CDN

Snapshot of what I'm seeing - and that little window about duty/tax means I'd been paying ~$320CDN for that knife.

Sorry to waste your time with that then, and thanks for that info.

View attachment 86272

what you see is in CAD.

the total is on your left, which is CAD 251.56

and have you check this one?
https://www.aiandomknives.com/colle...iyomitsu-pm-steel-santoku-165mm-sakura-handle
it's powder steel, very thin behind the edge and under 200.

Sorry to waste your time with that then, and thanks for that info.

Not your fault... I often see that miscalculation made.

Most US based members around here tend to forget about the exchange, but mostly about the fact that there aren't so much US vendors that will ship something and make sure to avoid customs. EVERY time I search for a knife that is available both in US and Canada, the CAD price reflects the exchange more or less exactly (some vendors either from here or US are just overcharging everything they can), but none of the taxes/duties, and in the end are much better priced for us. Harsh reality of having about the worst devise vs. international at the moment - and here in QC I'm about worse than any other Canadian province if taxes must enter the deal.

what you see is in CAD.
the total is on your left, which is CAD 251.56

OK - I actually put the item into my cart, and pushed it through enough to get to a true number - once you add the minimum $33USD for UPS shipping it turns out the knife will be $210USD - which using Visa's calculator and the standard 2.5% fee that Canadian Banks charge on currency conversion makes it a $292CDN knife. So not as bad as I first put, but still not great. If they're going to list the dollar value in CDN, they should append that to the price - I kept looking at it as if it was USD, and not bought stuff as I was then adding the exchange on top. I've been looking at a Hasegawa board there for a while.

That one at Ai & Om does look interesting.

OK - I actually put the item into my cart, and pushed it through enough to get to a true number - once you add the minimum $33USD for UPS shipping it turns out the knife will be $210USD - which using Visa's calculator and the standard 2.5% fee that Canadian Banks charge on currency conversion makes it a $292CDN knife. So not as bad as I first put, but still not great. If they're going to list the dollar value in CDN, they should append that to the price - I kept looking at it as if it was USD, and not bought stuff as I was then adding the exchange on top. I've been looking at a Hasegawa board there for a while.

Yes, Bad UX design. it cringes my eyes all these shops are trying hard to sell online but, seem like it was an accountant who designs the website.

WHICH one is that?

Ah I see sorry. The maker does seem to gather good rep around here. Don't like the handle, but you seem inclined to change them when you don't so nice finding.

Ah I see sorry. The maker does seem to gather good rep around here. Don't like the handle, but you seem inclined to change them when you don't so nice finding.

I don't seen anything really wrong with that handle that some sandpaper can't deal with. Crappy ferrule, but the wood can sanded, then oiled to make it seem nicer.

Back