• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Unknown natural finishing stone [maybe Natsuya] (EU) -plus Nagura-

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot edit the old thread but this one needs to go so let’s make a new one:

I bought this stone from Shinichi Watanabe not very long ago. Shinichi said he thinks it’s a specimen of exceptionally fine Natsuya and from my experience with these rocks (I had four up to now including this one) this might well be true.

This is a peculiar stone as it feels hard, dense and smooth although it’s supposed to be soft. You will want to raise some slurry on it before you start, else it won’t do a lot for polishing but can still be used for refining an edge or a quick touch up. With slurry it leaves a very pleasing even kasumi finish with nice contrast and a slightly dulled semi mirror core steel. If you work the slurry long enough on a well prepared blade you can even get a near mirror finish on the hard steel. Edges are nice and toothy and suitable for a lot of different tasks.

The bottom is a little uneven, but I lapped the center portion flat and now it sits very stable in use. The stone is pretty big measuring 210x75x30, it’s sealed on all sides and bottom.

I‘m only selling it because it doesn’t see much use as I tend to grab one of my various Suita over anything else in my collection and an unused stone is kind of a sad thing.

The stone has one tiny flaw that should not be a big problem though, more on that with the pictures...

I payed 25000¥ (around 200€) plus shipping for it about half a year ago. Considering that it’s not a perfect stone I am looking for 170€ (~190$) including shipping in Europe and 205$ shipped internationally, but I‘m also open for reasonable offers.

If you have any questions or for more pictures feel free to drop me a line.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

As promised now for the flaw:
That chip in the stone surface contains some kind of skin. The material there is softer than the rest of the stone so this is not a problem. Unfortunately that material extends a bit into the side of the stone in form of a very fine line. I sealed that area with lots of lacquer, so no water can get into the stone, so this should be fine too.
IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3597.jpg

Last edited:
As it will fit in the box of the stone and to maybe make this a little more interesting I will add a Jokyoji Nagura to the stone. These work very well together and create a super nice contrast.
IMG_3911.jpg

I will add some pictures of the combo in action later.

I will have to raise the price a bit to 175€ (195$) for Europe or 210$ for international though.

I am not sure whether such a question makes sense but I will give it a try - how would the edge compare to something like medium hard Ohira Suita?

That's a tough one as it really depends on how you use the stone. On pure water the edge has loads of bite to it, more comparable to a hard and fine Aoto or Aizu than a finisher but it will take some pressure to get the stone going. When used with it's own slurry, you can refine to a higher degree due to slurry breakdown which will leave an edge similar to a Suita or maybe even a bit finer but I'm not patient enough to verify that. The combination with the Jokyoji will land you somewhere in between.

As I said in my opening post, this is a peculiar stone and it takes some time getting used to it. Every potential buyer can rest assured, as I will, due to its strange nature, take the stone back if he/she is in any way dissatisfied with it.

Back