unpopular opinion knife rolls/bags are a complete scam

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta say that is pretty clever. You said a 270 won't fit in there?

I like my knife roll but it's not perfect by any means. Would love it if it was a bit taller. Maximum is pretty much 24 cm blade lenght but without a wooden saya, with Saya it's pretty much 21cm. I found it really depressing to find a good one especially to get it in Europe. Mostly use it if I'm taking my knives with me to my girl or friends, family. At work I have a big drawer and the wine box for smaller things and cheapos. https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B079...=1&keywords=MiM+Houston&qid=1586037175&sr=8-2

I’m wondering about the drum case too. How big of a knife can you fit? Good idea for sure. Ryan

I’m wondering about the drum case too. How big of a knife can you fit? Good idea for sure. Ryan
the bag fits my 270mm gyuto but i dont have a wooden saya for it but theres still space so im quite positive it would fit. Im currently in sandiego for the next couple days as i got offered some work that i currently cant refuse as money is very tight with all kitchens being closed at the moment. Once i come back home i can confirm if a suji with a saya and what the exact dimensions are for everyone but im pretty sure one would fit

OP is definitely on to something. I’ve seen certain tote bags that were well made w a side pocket for under $30. As long as all the blades are in sayas and guards it seems like a good idea.
The stitching on my boldric is pretty frayed after 2+ years of use. But other than that it’s held up remarkably well.

When I was taking buses between line cook jobs I used a 8 slot global roll and then a Jaw leather roll. They were both just ok. I recently got a Boldric backpack and have been really happy with it. Granted I use the computer more than the knives at work these days but I think it would be great for a bus commute. There is nothing that screams that guy is a cook about it. It would have to be your neck tattoos and Newports to sell the vibe.

https://www.boldric.com/store/boldric-chef-pack

When I was taking buses between line cook jobs I used a 8 slot global roll and then a Jaw leather roll. They were both just ok. I recently got a Boldric backpack and have been really happy with it. Granted I use the computer more than the knives at work these days but I think it would be great for a bus commute. There is nothing that screams that guy is a cook about it. It would have to be your neck tattoos and Newports to sell the vibe.

https://www.boldric.com/store/boldric-chef-pack
I saw that when I was looking and spent a long time trying to convince myself I don't need a 270mm at work so I could get it lol

Or maybe switch to a western handle for my suji.

If this was a serious question, then have you looked at Witloft knife rolls?
They have a 5 and 9 knife option.

If it’s not about the price as you say, LinnyKenny would custom make you a knife roll to fit whatever your kit requires.

Both solutions to me are really good and I have no problem with the pricing. Just a question of how long to save for one.

it’s a bit like taking a honyaki to an onion; a plastic handle victorinox will also make uniform dice.

$850 for a knife roll for sure makes your Honyaki analogy fit. Makes the roll in BST right now look like a steal for what seems to be a very similar design.

850 for a knife roll?? it better be made out of gucci leather..
You must know how often I get that same question about any knife from <Insert custom maker> vs wusthof et al.

Before I left the kitchen and went into knife work, I used to bring my knives in my backpack.. I had my gf knit a few multi-pocketed sleeves. I would bring 10-14 knives like this.. ofc this means that you must have sayas for your knives.. but what pros don't have sayas??

I'm also a fan of the taped up books/magazines as a knife block.. I'm not gonna spend hundreds on something I can make for almost nothing.

Before I left the kitchen and went into knife work, I used to bring my knives in my backpack.. I had my gf knit a few multi-pocketed sleeves. I would bring 10-14 knives like this.. ofc this means that you must have sayas for your knives.. but what pros don't have sayas??
i use felt lined dexter knife guards, not a fan of sayas. having to take them in and out vertically annoys me where as the guards you slide in horizontally.

it looks like messermeister makes a clone at 10 dollars cheaper than ultimate edge. wonder how it compares.
I have one of these and it's worked well for the couple dozen times I have loaded it up to go help out somewhere. A 300 yanagi in a saya fits. It a pretty non-nonsense roll, and is has a few zippered pockets, etc. Granted I rarely put move than 6 or so knives in it, plus a handful of utensils, etc., so I can't say I really give the roll a workout with respect to long-term wear resistance, etc. It isn't the most counter-friendly thing though, due to the ability to hole long knives.

And of course the huge caveat is that I am not a Pro.

New rule: knife bags should cost no more than 10% of the contents that they protect.
Ah, that's great! So not even a Steve Goodson roll all optioned up would violate the rule :cool: (his rolls rock!)

If this was a serious question, then have you looked at Witloft knife rolls?
They have a 5 and 9 knife option.

If it’s not about the price as you say, LinnyKenny would custom make you a knife roll to fit whatever your kit requires.

Both solutions to me are really good and I have no problem with the pricing. Just a question of how long to save for one.

it’s a bit like taking a honyaki to an onion; a plastic handle victorinox will also make uniform dice.

I guess if i was to take this very serious id still stick with the bag that i currently have its significantly cheaper than anything on the market and comes with almost everything im looking for in a kniferoll for the modern, young, broke, line cook. Its portable, cheap, sturdy, and holds all the knives and tools id realistically need for any job in the kitchen. I think eventually when i have the income id look into a custom back and design it myself like how in the future id like to own a honyaki.

I have one of these and it's worked well for the couple dozen times I have loaded it up to go help out somewhere. A 300 yanagi in a saya fits. It a pretty non-nonsense roll, and is has a few zippered pockets, etc. Granted I rarely put move than 6 or so knives in it, plus a handful of utensils, etc., so I can't say I really give the roll a workout with respect to long-term wear resistance, etc. It isn't the most counter-friendly thing though, due to the ability to hole long knives.

And of course the huge caveat is that I am not a Pro.

Ah, that's great! So not even a Steve Goodson roll all optioned up would violate the rule :cool: (his rolls rock!)
my UE is literally FULL to max capacity with tools or knives in every orifice. it weighs like 30 pounds lol

i use felt lined dexter knife guards, not a fan of sayas. having to take them in and out vertically annoys me where as the guards you slide in horizontally.
I gotta agree on the sayas they look nice but can really slow the work flow and take up a lot of space not a huge fan of sayas

Kydex edge guards are a good middle to me. They're lined with cork and a bit sturdier.

Back