Updates from Metal land.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend is doing Cheltenham food festival this weekend. I haven't quite been ready stock wise for the shows this year. I have plans for next year. He urged me to come and nest in with him at his table with what ever I have and my sharpening gear to do some demo's. His stall is next to Jamie Oliver, so I felt it has to be worth a shot. Earnestly I finished up some knives, with a final polish and clean up before sharpening, I managed to fumble and flip a very pointy 280 mm suji which landed in my toe, missing the bone but cleanly going through lengthways down one side of my 3 rd toe, (I still have 5 altogether:D) I kept it together with a bit of J cloth tied around it and drove myself to hospital...to get it properly dressed,,,, a clean cut...the benefit of a good knife I suppose, Its pretty sore today though. I hope to still make the food show on Sunday to ambush Jamie and try not to drop anything.:(

I want to get him to try out one of knives....:D If I get the chance to talk to him, I imagine if he shows up in person this weekend it could be for a brief demo or book signing. Maybe not, he is a propper grafting london geezer after all.:cheffry:

Well Cheltenham food festival was interesting, considering I was just walking around with some huge knives in a brief case, folk were very friendly. Jamie was not there, one of his kitchen boys informed me that there is no point in buying an expensive knife because they get used hard and thrown away...well if you don't understand the principles of sharpening and buy throw away knives.... I got some flyers to the right people though and got some good feedback on the new handle style. A chap making pate did 100 onions with it right infront of me. Loved the knife said the handle would be perfect if it was made to fit, so for him it needed to be a touch larger for the ridge to sit nicely in the knuckles. His knife of choice was a thai sort of small thin Gyuto, less than 1mm thick, soft as anything with no sort of edge, but just cut due to being generally thin. He said it was 10 pence in thailand, he bought a load and just threw them away when they were too beaten up.:( The was a chap there with a V sharpening gizmo, I stopped by for a brief argument but should have lead him on a bit first, next time. Lots of chopping boards, no one knew why I would want an end grain board.
I spent a fair bit of money walking around came away with various cured meats and some Black truffle butter, mmmm
But a nice day and some good research, If I do the shows next year i'm going to need some no frills beater working knives but my way with great steel ht and grind. And my Dammy range to show what I can do.

Wow, sounds like it's gonna be a hard sell convincing people the value of a good knife there. I can relate, but that still sounds bad. I've found that 1 in about 100 people even remotely 'get' it.

Makes me want to open a restaurant just so I can show quick prep and be and how much less waste would be produced from cooks caring for their tools.

Yep but on a positive though its virtually a blank canvas. But i know if i do some shows next year it will be showing the complete package, good knife and how to maintain it. And selling a few sharpening bits to go with the knives. You should come and demo Eamon.:)

I guarantee you that if my wife could book some photo shoots and I could get some local work and pay for the trip, my family would be in Herefordshire absolutely any time. We'd clear the schedule.

Totally serious.

Seriously digging the profile and handle of that "extra" Suji. From my perspective your work has shown a lot of refinement and progress (and maybe progress is the wrong word to convey the idea that you have responded exceedingly well to what the folks on this forum like about knives) in the short amount of time that this forum has existed. Keep it up.

Thankyou very much, thats very encouraging. Im rushing about a bit at the moment but here is what i have either ready to go out or available. I will give you guys on my mailing list a preview of what will be for sale next week and some prices.
Brief group shot for you. I need to fix the handles on the petty and give them a honing.
I have had two more sizes of stamps made, so a smaller stamp for petty and paring knives.
Can anyone think of a name for the new pattern petty at the bottom, ? that one is also a different mix in 01/15n20 it averages 62hrc. The rest are blue paper core damascus clad, top suji in 15n20/1080 with the new diamond D handle.
More to come and ill send out a news letter tomorrow. Have a fun weekend.:D

20120623_103856-1.jpg

Join my mailing list here, for previews on upcoming knives for sale, Auctions will come...........thats the plan anyway.
http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/knife-auctions.html

Here is a quick close up pattern in 01 and 15n20.

20120623_103828-1.jpg

hey - great work sir!

The damascus looks a lot like the weird shapes that used to be used on 70's/80's superhero cartoons when they would fade to a different scene - superhero is what i'd call it.

or... cross-eye - but I like superhero better!

Thanks josh, i was thinking some sort of sea creature. Cant put my finger on it. In any case i like the 01/15n20 combo, tad harder to hone, nice edge though.

To me it looks like an exploding star or "starburst" If you want to go down the sea creature theme though, how about brittlestar or feather star.

I think there is a pattern called starburst, brittlestar is pretty cool. But these things have all been done before no doubt. This was based on a pattern known as "fire within" but I got two bars the wrong way round on the 2 x 2 stack so it turned out a little different.:laugh:

I see where you are going with the Sea. There's way too many kinds of star fish. "prometheus" would be cool - I have a tendency to name animals and projects at work after greek gods...

Sounds like you have an interesting job Josh:biggrin: This is one of those patterns that has me planning lots of variations. It can be done like fire running down the spine. When I have time I want to do a "fire gyuto" with the full fire within endcaps, utilizing 15n20 1080 and pure nickel for the fire down the spine, the cutting edge of 01, would be quite dramatic. I can feel a big crazy wip coming on:D

I like fractal ice. How about flash back. Some of those patterns I get when I wake up and I haven't got my focus back yet. (yes I am weird)

The ice thing is cool, I hadn't thought of that, not sure about the fractal bit, So many good names.... Shane, what your describing there is hallucinating, maybe not so much cheese at bed time:laugh:
Yep, I'll do a fire Gyuto wip, maybe it could be a build up to launch my auctions? when I get that bit technically sorted. It would take ages to make with everything else I have to get done anyway so that sounds realistic. :biggrin:

It looks like the page in The Lorax when he pops out of the Truffula stump.

Lol, I've no idea what your talking about, but I do like the word Truffula:D

The Lorax! By Dr. Seuss!

Great book, very exciting and conflict-ridden book for little ones.

But those trees! Those trees!
Those Truffula Trees!
All my life I'd been searching
for trees such as these.
The touch of their tufts
was much softer than silk.
And they had the sweet smell
of fresh butterfly milk.
I felt a great leaping
of joy in my heart.
I knew just what I'd do!
I unloaded my cart.
In no time at all, I had built a small shop.
Then I chopped down a Truffula Tree with one chop.
And with great skillful skill and with great speedy speed,
I took the soft tuft, and I knitted a Thneed!
The instant I'd finished, I heard a ga-Zump!
I looked.
I saw something pop out of the stump
of the tree I'd chopped down. It was sort of a man.
Describe him?... That's hard. I don't know if I can.

Truffula it is, im going to need some truffula burl;)
Meanwhile this mini pallete arrived from sweden
20120626_093507.jpg

14c28n

Couple of little testers in 14c28n. I forged the tapers in to get an idea on how it works hot, then ground the rest of the profile/taper. I can say so far this material forges and grinds very nicely. Ht next, waiting on some liquid nitrogen to arrive.
20120626_150557-1.jpg

Back