Veg Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex M

Reaction score
Hi All, I am looking for something to prep veg with. I realise all the results below seem to point to a Watanabe 180 Nakiri but was wondering if anybody could offer up some alternatives to this just so I had something to measure it against.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

What country are you in?

The UK

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

A heavier Nakiri, Bunka or if the blade is tall enough maybe a K-tip Gyuto?

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

180mm - 210mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

I’d prefer stainless but stainless clad is fine.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

€300

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

At home, used to be pro and am still a keen cook.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

It will be used exclusively for chopping and slicing lots and lots of vegetables. I’d like a taller blade ideally so I can use it to transfer things to pans.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

It’s not really replacing anything but I use a 230mm Henckels chef knife and 180mm Henckles Santoku and am looking to upgrade.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Slicing and Chopping. I rarely rock chop.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I’d like it to have a little bit of weight to it and to avoid it being super fragile. I’d like it to have quite a tall profile so I can transfer things off a board with it. I like the look of the bunka shape but not sure how often, in reality, I would use the tip.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

No plastic ferrules if avoidable! I like kurouchi and slightly rougher looking aesthetics (Hammer finishes etc.) over a polished finish.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)

I would probably prefer a heavier knife to a ‘laser’.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Good food release would be a plus.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

As long as possible but not at the expense of it being really hard to sharpen or being too fragile.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes, I sharpen my knives on stones at the moment but have no experience sharpening Japanese knives.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes definitely!

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes.

Sounds like you'd be a good candidate to try the Watanabe Pro Kurouchi 180mm nakiri with upgraded handle. Commonly referred to as the nakiri gold standard. I have one myself and recommend it. Prices on it are going up 15% on March 1st.

Shinichi does a really good job with his blue #2 and this one is stainless clad. It's about 190-200g and has a taller profile, a great flat spot but with a gentle curve the front. Mine is 62mm at the heel.

I'd recommend a Chinese chef knife or chukobocho. These have extra weight to help drop through the food and are generally even thinner than a nakiri. Makes veg prep a breeze

Back