Wa-Suji-Shootout (270mm)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattador

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

While I'm getting my current sujihiki rehandled, I'll be looking for another one to play with until its done and I've put together a list of ones that piqued my interest.

1. Kagekiyo White #2
2. Yoshikane VG10
3. Wakui White #2
4. Mazaki White #2
5. Toyama Blue #2
6. Mizuno Blue #2
7. Yoshimi Kato G3
8. Sakai Takayuki G3

I plan on using it for cooked proteins, especially crusty ones, and I'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any of these. Thanks!

I recently picked up a Heiji carbon 270 suji that I'm liking a lot. It's got some ass to it and crusted meats are no problem. It certainly should be on your short list.

Last edited:
Only one I’ve used on your list is the Toyama in 300mm version. Nice height, weight, and stiff. Maybe a little too “delicate” for my liking to be used as a straight slicer. I use 270-300mm gyutos as is though and found it easier just to use a gyuto for slicing instead of taking out and watching over another knife. My Heiji gyuto was my favorite “slicer” and what I would take out when I knew I would be slicing 80lbs of protein instead of 80lbs of veggies. The short blade road and wide bevel made for excellent food separation, forward weight and also very easy to put a nice micro/secondary bevel on it so that even the crustiest of meats would not chip the blade. So I second daveb on adding Heiji to your list. You picked out a lot of really nice knives, I would more so be evaluating what you really want in a suji. Now is the chance to refine what you like since your other one is off getting a handle. If I were in the market I’d want one that’s thick with zero flex, not super thin behind the edge, very blade heavy and with a wide bevel or very convex that’s about 45mm tall at the heel.

I recently picked up a Heiji carbon 270 suji that I'm liking a lot. It's got some ass to it and crusted meats are no problem. It certainly should be on your short list.
I wish there was a way to get a carbon suji without waiting 4 months... I'd even settle for the SS if JKI wasn't sold out.

If I were in the market I’d want one that’s thick with zero flex, not super thin behind the edge, very blade heavy and with a wide bevel or very convex that’s about 45mm tall at the heel.
This is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I was also interested in the Kochi V2 but that seems to be sold out as well.

Back