Watanabe Nakiri vs. Lobster

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Betsy L

Reaction score
Yesterday was our 45th wedding anniversary and my husband brought home some lobsters (he is a retired commercial fisherman and works part time on a lobster boat). He reached for the ‘cleaver’ to crack the shells resulting in chips along the edge. I pointed out the damage (calmly) so he took the knife out to the garage and escalated the damage with belt sanders or disc grinders or what not. The edge is now flopped over to one side. I remained calm.

Should I send the knife to District Cutlery?

Japanese Knife Imports, Tokushu, are two I've used with great results. Heard good things about DC.

Send the belt grinder to Goodwill and take the husband to the Army recruiter..... :cool:
Thank you for the suggestions. I need the belt sander to sharpen gardening tools and my husband is 74, so no military career for him.

Thank you for the suggestions. I need the belt sander to sharpen gardening tools and my husband is 74, so no military career for him.
In that case, take the husband to Goodwill and give the disc sander to the army recruiter 😊

Good on you for staying calm, your Nakiri is probably quite tall so there will be plenty of real estate for a repair job that will leave it as good as new.

My skills are lacking. It doesn't look so bad--feels like a thick burr.

Assuming all the chips are now out, you might just want to sharpen it first and see how it feels in use. It’s possible he didn’t take off too much metal. If it feels fine after sharpening, keep a close eye on the edge as may have lost its temper from heat with the grinding.

If it requires a lot more force after sharpening, then yup probably would need a good thinning.

Back