What are we watching lately?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by oval99, Jun 22, 2017.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jun 26, 2017 #31

oval99

oval99

oval99

Love that glamour shot limpet. I've wanted to get more into Lang after being blown away by how timely M still is. I'm not afraid of silent films (recently saw MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA, and THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC is one of my all-time faves), so I'll have to check that one out.

2. Jun 26, 2017 #32

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Trust me, this isn't undue praise. The Sopranos deserves every word of it.
    [​IMG]

3. Jun 26, 2017 #33

Sillywizard

Sillywizard

Sillywizard

I'm watching Futurama from season 1, episode 1 AGAIN! Best 📺 series ever*, I just wish they would start making new episodes, it's the only series I want to resume...again.

*The opinions expressed here are those of Sillywizard and Sillywizard's alone
    ...unless, of course, somebody else shares them...

4. Jun 26, 2017 #34

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I'm not the biggest cartoon watcher, but have you seen Rick and Morty? I've been hearing a lot of Futurama comparisons.

5. Jun 26, 2017 #35

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Three's a company should be available on Hulu I think. That stuff never gets old.

6. Jun 26, 2017 #36

Sillywizard

Sillywizard

Sillywizard

Yo, I watch Rick and Morty, it has a very high intelligence factor as well, but it can be very crude.
    Futurama is a cut above everything else. I'm hoping HBO or Netflix picks it up and produces new seasons of it!

7. Jun 26, 2017 #37

StonedEdge

StonedEdge

StonedEdge

Banned

As long as Family Guy never sees the light of day ever again I'll be happy. What a cheap, POS show that was. Now Futurama and the first 15 years of the Simpsons...pure gold.

8. Jun 26, 2017 #38

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

High intelligence factor? Do you mean for a cartoon or overall?

And what's wrong with being crude?

The Simpsons was only good from season 3 to 8. It's amazing how it turned into complete garbage after that 5 year sprint.

9. Jun 26, 2017 #39

Anton

Anton

Anton

my 2 year old

10. Jun 26, 2017 #40

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Keith Sinclair

Supporting Member

Our Hawaiian Tel. package has quite a few movie channels that show older films. Don't mind B&W stepping back in time. Spencer Tracy became one of my favorite actors just watching old movies. Some nice gals too.

I search movies if looks decent tape it. I end up deleting most after first 5 minutes. You can find some gems. Agree that good movies today are few & far between.

11. Jun 26, 2017 #41

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

TheCaptain

Southpark. With our 14yo daughter. Sick and crude but humorously spot on in so many non PC ways.

12. Jun 27, 2017 #42

oval99

oval99

oval99

Futurama ROCKED for the first run (3 seasons I think?). Funny, very clever, and with that acidic Groening humor to tie it all together. I especially liked the one where Fry gets stuck in that mental asylum for robots with Bender. "The only disks I'll accept are Oreos -- and then only in the mouth!" And who doesn't love Zoidberg, the crustacean humanoid doctor with the accent and mannerisms of a NY Jew? I lost track of it after that, but I'm glad Comedy Central revived it anyway.

I have to stick up for Family Guy. The first four seasons or so had some real belly laughs. Kind of like a cartooon version of "Married with Children" (another guilty pleasure). But it tanked fast: now it's just lazy and mean-spirited.

I also agree with you that (roughly) the first 15 years of The Simpsons was gold. Because I'm a hopeless Simpsons geek, I'll give you my breakdown, complete with gratuitous knife metaphors!

-Seasons 3-8: golden age. Like a Murray Carter knife or a Shigefusa. You're in awe of the craft.
    -Seasons 9-10: silver age. Still a beautiful blade that sings, like a Takamura Hana Damascus.
    -Seasons 11-13: Bronze Age. Well, it ain't as pretty as the other knives in the rack and it certainly doesn't feel as special, but it still gets the job done better than a Western knife.
    -Seasons 14-present: tin (that means garbage. It's still called The Simpsons, but it ain't the Simpsons). Pure Cutco. DULL Cutco.

-The great thing about the later seasons is the elastic nature of the episodes: they got looser and the self-referential humor was great. Case in point: the "behind the laughter" ep, and that bit where Homer's in the hammock reading "Blue Pants Monthly":rofl2:

13. Jun 27, 2017 #43

oval99

oval99

oval99

A note to film fans and Apple TV owners: DVD/Blu-Ray company Shout! Factory has its own channel. Now featured is a bunch of vintage Dick Cavett interviews with musicians, comedians, and film personalities. The film ones are amazing: Orson Welles, Bette Davis, Robert Mitchum, Katherine Hepburn and many more. My favorites are Welles and especially Hepburn. This was probably the only video interview Hepburn did, and it's a stunner. It clocks in at over 2 hours and I never realized what a fascinating and strong lady she was. There will never be another one like her. Talk shows today? Puh-leeze. It's just a way for airhead celebrities to plug their newest movie/album/whatever. THIS was when tv TALKED. See it on youtube below:

14. Jun 27, 2017 #44

limpet

limpet

limpet

Agree, mostly. Though I wouldn't say Hong Kong movies are better by default. What's interesting is that many big action/adventure movies made in Hollywood are now being targeted at the growing Chinese 3D Cinema market. Such pesky things as "script" and "screenplay" would just be lost in translation so who cares? :|

Here's an entertaining and educational clip about editing that picks apart Sucicide Squad. :)

15. Jun 27, 2017 #45

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

No edutainment/film criticism I've seen has surpassed that of Red Letter Media's Mr. Plinkett Star Wars reviews. Highly recommended.

16. Jun 28, 2017 #46

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

@Damage I think the interesting thing about Better Call Saul is that you get a protagonist which fits a stereotype that is *usually* (not here) kicked from deus ex machina to deus ex machina in comedy. Thoroughly subverted. A comedic protagonist left with full agency, now that is a chimp with a machine gun :)

17. Jun 28, 2017 #47

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Hit the nail on the head.

I never really believed in Walter White's journey from a wimp to a ruthless killer. It seemed so forced and unnatural. Jimmy becoming Saul is much more believable.

The funny thing is that when I heard they were doing a Saul Goodman spin-off, I thought it was gonna be a 1 case per week comedy show where Saul goes through lawyer-y hijinks with wacky/sketchy clients. I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a high quality character drama.

I'm gonna laugh my a** off if the first image of season four is Jimmy pulling a burnt chuck-roast out of the oven before getting a phone call.

18. Jun 28, 2017 #48

jacko9

jacko9

jacko9

Fargo!

19. Jun 28, 2017 #49

jessf

jessf

jessf

Most recently watched Moana and before that There Will Be Blood for the tenth time.

20. Jun 28, 2017 #50

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

I was at a screening of There Will Be Blood a few weeks back in Copenhagen. Amazing to see it for the first time on film projection and not digital.

21. Jun 28, 2017 #51

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

LifeByA1000Cuts

Ahhh ... how could I forget "Nobunaga no chef" (the dorama version based on the manga). Super wack pretext, but ... the japanese put so much dramaturgy and camera work into a TV production?

22. Jun 29, 2017 #52

jessf

jessf

jessf

[SUB][/SUB]
    hands down my favorite film. DDL is a master. No Country for Old Men comes a close second.

23. Jun 29, 2017 #53

StonedEdge

StonedEdge

StonedEdge

Banned

I could watch those two films forever

24. Jun 29, 2017 #54

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

2007 must have been a good year for you.

Have you seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?

25. Jun 29, 2017 #55

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

I've got into Moana. But like a lot.

26. Jun 29, 2017 #56

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

The Bridge original Swedish/Danish

Black Mirror - all you TZ heads need this in your life. But like, reaaaaally need this.

Stranger Things - Where have you been if you haven't seen it

Mr. Robot

Rewatching The Wire

Archer

Peep Show

I debated whether I should write it down but fuqit, Riverdale. And I'm weirdly compelled

27. Jun 29, 2017 #57

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Some more British magic:

Broadchurch

Happy Valley

28. Jun 29, 2017 #58

malexthekid

malexthekid

malexthekid

Haha. I have been asking myself is 8 to 12 weeks old too early for Despicable Me 3. :D

29. Jun 29, 2017 #59

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

Badgertooth

I actually did some amazing film watching when my oldest was that age because I'd just sit with her trying to get her to sleep for hours at a time. Watched some crazy stuff like Tree of Life and Antichrist

30. Jun 29, 2017 #60

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Kinda grim watching Antichrist with your young child in the room.

That's like sitting down and watching Mulholland Drive with your depressed failed actress friend.