What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now, my go-to and favourite are the same. A three week old 240 kasumi finish yoshikane gyuto, skd11 core.

Have you posted a pic of that yet? :)

Smart ass.

IMG_20120517_214253.jpg

Oivind....Cannot in any way, shape or form argue about that....So beautiful...and you suck lol.

That has to be the coolest knife holder on the planet!

This month it's between a 230 carter hg gyuto and a 270 w1 konosuke fujiyama. Subject to change next month.

Right now for me it would have to be my 210 ealy no task is to big or small for it. Gets scary sharp and stays that way for a while. Right behind that I would say my fujiyama konosuke nakiri 180mm. I just love how this knife seem to fall through veggies and a very close third would have to be my 150 mm konosuke petty in white #1. Everyone at works joke that it's my scalpel.

There are some kick-ass knives in this thread.

I like how Rick qualified it by saying "this month". I tend to do that. I use a variety of knives through out the week, but I tend to focus on one or two knives a month. This month it is my new Tsourkan and last month it was my Ealy 270.

k.

Butch Harner nakiri is certainly my most used, followed by a Kono HD 150 petty. Favorite would be a toss up between the Harner and my DT 52100 gyuto.

I have a DT ITK 240mm gyuto that DT did a rework on. I've been using that and an Ealy O1 gyuto. I moved and can't fing the trusty TKC.

Depends on the task as well but for general prep it's the 240mm Ironwood Tanaka. Love, love, love that knife lately since I thinned a bit behind the edge and refinished her. For fish it's my Konosuke 270mm mioroshi deba hands down. That is until I get the Gesshin Hide deba perhaps. In a couple of months who knows? I plan to get a Martell wa-gyuto and hopefully one of Marko's beauts soon too!

So many knives so little money...

My go-to is 225mm (on the edge) gyuto. For small tasks, I use 180mm and when I am doing a lot of prep work, I take out 255mm (on the edge).

M

I'd say my go to at the moment is probably my 240 TC gyuto. Solid knife, don't need to baby it and versatile enough for pretty much any job at work. Was unsure about it at first, but the "burr issues" seem to have stopped and I'm loving it now.

Favorite? That changes, but I've recently falling in love with my Sabatiers again, so probably either my 10" carbon chefs or 5" carbon boning knife. They just feel great in my hands, very nimble.

Cheers,
Josh

Shig 210, shig 240, shig 240 laser, shig 270. Each has its own personality. The 210 has been polished with finger stones and I love it but has probably been devalued as a result. The 240 is a Marko so it has to go to the grave with me. 240 laser, the best cutter by a slim margin - will probably sell. The 270; well, this is just a big solid knife that cuts well. My favorite, however, is a Doi 270 yani. (A Japanese guy recently told me it might be a fake because it is too heavy.... guess I'll have to dump it for $50!)

Favorite overall is probably the 240 shig, although my 240 Ealy has been seeing a bit more action of late.

Have to agree with the posters who say their "favorite" changes over time.

But right now... my go to, the one knife only on a desert island, is a Steve Mullin- Pack River chef's.
Fantastic all a rounder.

A bit of heft, great distal taper to a fine working tip, convex grind, excellent geometry, very comfortable in hand, and an edge that has lasted since I got this knife from Stefan (his pic) six months or so ago...
This knife is in Chad Ward's book (who put the high bevels on here).

From fine cutting veggies to working whole chicken/ribs pre and post BBQ.

Thanks again Stefan!

469141212_c053e3680f_o.jpg

Back