What size small gyuto to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

Reaction score
I'm on the list to get a Bloodroot Blade this summer and am thinking of ordering a small gyuto. I have a 240mm Masamoto VG gyuto that I just don't use that much except for large things or large quantities which isn't that often. My most used knives are a 150mm Yoshikane petty and a 165mm Fujiwara nakiri. I am thinking a 180mm or 210mm chef's knife from BB would get more use. I'm leaning towards the 210mm just because this will be my one custom blade and more is better, right?

To add to the mix, I've gotten it into my head that I want a Shigefusa. Wouldn't want to duplicate, so maybe a 180mm gyuto. Or am I deluding myself into thinking that there is a difference in 30mm in length? Also thinking maybe a single bevel KU petty would be sweet.

Please be aware with a gyuto a large part of the edge is lost due to the belly and tip. Consider a 190 santoku instead.

In talking with Luke at BB, the knife will have a fairly flat profile, tending towards a funayuki.

I'd go with the 210. That'll be able to handle almost any home kitchen tasks without feeling crowded, and you'd still have the option of using the nakiri for smaller chopping tasks.

Be well,
Mikey

Since you're going custom, I guess you can get it any length you want. Sounds like you are comfortable with the shorter blades, so I think anything in the 190-210 range, in a flat profile, would suit you well. If it were me, I think I'd go 210 to be a bit more versatile.

I have been having the same thought lately as I jump from a 150 Carter to a 240. I have been leaning toward getting something along the lines of a 190 Funy. Luckily I got on Devin's 210 ITK list so that should fill the gap somewhat.

Back